Towing an S2/RS2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing an S2/RS2?

I mounted an RS2 bumper to the front of my CQ, and in doing so I removed the USDOT bumper shocks that hold the original bumper on. On the right side shock, there is a threaded hole that is designed to screw in a cable with an eye on it for towing the car.

I know the right side mesh for the RS2 bumper has a special thumbscrew that allows you to remove the mesh from the outside, unlike the other two mesh sections that are screwed into the bumper from the back. I assume this right section is removable like that for towing, but what provision does an RS2 have for towing?

I mounted the bumper using RS2 brackets, but they don't provide anything to tow with. What do S2's and RS2's have in the way of a place to hook onto for towing (or cinching down the car when flatbedding)?

Thanks,
    Kenneth
    1990 Coupe quattro
    1991 200q20v x 2
    1985 4ksq 20vt project
    1986 Coupe GT 10vt project
    2006 Honda Ridgeline
    1998 Honda VFR800FI

The RS2 has a bracket and support that runs under the chassis leg (as shown on the attached picture)

Ben
    Attached Files
    the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
    1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

I'd avoid towing the S2/RS2 anyways--its like christmas borbles---for decoration only. Towing puts undue stress on the gearbox as the input shaft turns the gearbox oil pump and as the engine will not be turning the input shaft damage can occur. Bizzarly just reading the manual it says you can tow with either end wheels lifted your just limited to 50kph and 30 miles total. Probably air on the side of caution and only flat bed her
      Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

ive towed the s2 a few times. snapped cam, failed cam sensor, broken clutch master. no issues other than the brakes going rock hard halfway home.

Comment

I have been towed once only through necessity. About 5 years ago my crank pulley bolt came undone (Dodgy workmanship--hence i do all the work myself now) the car died on the entry to a roundabout (A road) at rush hour and left me stranded trying to turn right in the outside lane. Luckily a work mate in a Ford Ka (Don't snigger it was embarasing) towed me home (1/2 mile)which was up a rather steep bank (1-6) bless the little Ka. The Ka couldn't manage more than 25 mph as it was all up hill.
          Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. By towing I am really just interested in the anchor point. Even when flatbedding it is good to know where you can pull or secure the car. I have had my CQ towed when the radiator hose blew and when the power steering hose blew.

I have roadside assistance with 100 miles "free" (included in the annual fee) per tow. Once time after three tows on various vehicles in the fleet in quick succession, I received a letter that said I was at the limit for the time being.

Here are some pics of my WIP (work in progress). Even pics of an ugly unfinished mismatched car make a thread better than no pic at all, right?
            Attached Files
            Kenneth
            1990 Coupe quattro
            1991 200q20v x 2
            1985 4ksq 20vt project
            2006 Honda Ridgeline
            1998 Honda VFR800FI

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
              I'd avoid towing the S2/RS2 anyways--its like christmas borbles---for decoration only. Towing puts undue stress on the gearbox as the input shaft turns the gearbox oil pump and as the engine will not be turning the input shaft damage can occur.

Why is towing any different to free wheeling with the clutch disengaged? As long as its not for hundreds of miles I can't see any issue with towing a quattro with all 4 wheel in the ground.
              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I've towed the S2 for about 50 miles (never again though) and didn't have issues, thought the main concern was moving one axle while the other was stationary?

@OP - reference my post here http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showpos...&postcount=113 and see the last few pics, shows one with the bumper off (towing eye exposed) and then bumper + grills in place.
                AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post

I'd avoid towing the S2/RS2 anyways--its like christmas borbles---for decoration only. Towing puts undue stress on the gearbox as the input shaft turns the gearbox oil pump and as the engine will not be turning the input shaft damage can occur.
                  Why is towing any different to free wheeling with the clutch disengaged? As long as its not for hundreds of miles I can't see any issue with towing a quattro with all 4 wheel in the ground.
                  For that matter under that assumption you would think any time you are engine braking it would damage the gearbox, since not only would the input shaft not be being driven by the motor, it would be forced to drive the motor. I'm skeptical, but willing to learn some new info.
                  Kenneth
                  1990 Coupe quattro
                  1991 200q20v x 2
                  1985 4ksq 20vt project
                  2006 Honda Ridgeline
                  1998 Honda VFR800FI

Comment

When you're engine braking, the input shaft is still turning, it only needs to turn to drive the pump, it doesnt matter if it is being turned by the engine or by momentum. Short distances wont make a difference as everything will be soaked in oil in the box, I,m not 100% sure why but i have been warned in the past about towing a quattro that drivetrain damage could occur.

Comment

may have to tow the car some 100miles.
                      All four wheels on the ground using a damper tow bar.

Whats the deal with oil getting around the box?
                      I didnt think cgr and crb boxes have oil pumps which is why so notchy on cold mornings?
                      Volcano ABY coupe

Ant

Comment

It won't do it any harm this is rubbish, it's auto box quattros you have to be careful with.
                        As long as all 4 wheels are on the ground you can tow it round the world.

Comment

I'd avoid towing the S2/RS2 anyways--its like christmas borbles---for decoration only. Towing puts undue stress on the gearbox as the input shaft turns the gearbox oil pump and as the engine will not be turning the input shaft damage can occur. Bizzarly just reading the manual it says you can tow with either end wheels lifted your just limited to 50kph and 30 miles total. Probably air on the side of caution and only flat bed her

Thats such crap
                          Chef

Comment

agree rubbish. Hank and I have set records for flat tows, towed his 81 UR-quattro up a canyon pass with a urs6 (rs2 turbo) over 50 miles hitting speeds over 80 mph

Comment

Working...
                            X