No announcement yet.

Known good windscreen fitters / centres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought i'd share my windscreen experience, cheers to Andy (Rusty) and Alex (Error404) for their advice
    Had the windscreen replaced by Kevin from Auto Windscreens cardiff through the insurance. It worked out really well. Kevin hadnt done a coupe before but he was obviously quite experienced and was also keen to learn about how to do it properly. I was undecided as to whether to remove the whole screen prior to him visiting or whether to just remove the seals and side trims. In the end i decided to just remove the side trims, wipers scuttle and seals etc. When he arrived he was grateful of the side trims being already removed as its time consuming taking them all off (not if there is only 1 rivet each side ) it also gave me time to remove all the silicone sealant in the passenge door seal He just needed to cut the old screen out. I took the a-pillar interior trims off also on the day to improve access to cut the adhesive,
    We got the new screen out of the van and it was the right one thankfully, he then produced the top windscreen seal... "Great" i said "where's the bottom one?"
    So after a phonecall to his mate and inspection of my existing lower seal we all agreed a new one was required.
    So we had a chat and he agreed to take the screen out there and then and clean the opening, he then agreed to come back the following morning (Saturday) and bond in the new screen with new upper and lower seals as they have to be fitted at the same time as the screen, he explained that he had a tight saturday so he wouldnt have too much time, so i agreed to refit all the trim etc after the screen was fitted.
    This worked out really well for me as i was able to pop the car in the garage and clean the whole opening and treat the whole front edge of the roof as there was beginnings of rust the whole way along, so i ground it all back, rust treated it and primed and paineted the area. Refitted the interior trims and left it overnight to dry ready for the screen.
    Kevin came back in the morning and he coated the whole opening in a quick drying corrosion inhibiting water resistant primer (awesome stuff was also the same black as my car! ) we test fitted the screen with the seals on and made some alignment marks with tape where we were happy for it to lie.
    We removed the screen i fitted the scuttle back in (to ensure the lower seal overlapped it nicely) and then he used a battery powered "mastic gun" type thing, to place a triangular section bead of sikaflex on the windscreen opening we then popped the new screen in between us, he was glad of the extra hand he said it can always be placed nicer with one on each side. we then positioned the screen so we were both happy with the alignment.
    He left me with a little bag full of 30-40 of the correct rivets for the trims.
    I then took the time fitting the A-pillar trims correctly and then before fitting the aluminium door top piece painted on a thinned layer of underseal int he door opening, then riveted on the aluminium door fram piece with all the correct rivets. All the rubbers were treated to lashings of vaseline (ooh errr) which should help them expand a little and repel the water, it also helped the door/window rubbers slip nicely into the rail.
    Job done!!! Im even semi convinced it may not leak now? fingers crossed....
    Black B3 1990 CQ 2.3E converted to ABY & 6spd. (301bhp) - Now Sold
    03 Dolphin B6 S4 Avant LPG - New Daily Wagon
    01 Silver D2 A8 3.7 quattro sport - SOLD

"Difficult is worth doing"

Comment

Sounds like everything went well for you during the screen installation.
      Should a sealing tape be applied over the top of the rivets? I'm sure I read that somewhere on here. I'd be interested to learn more about this as mine doesn't have any tape present.

Comment

Oh! I'm not sure! I haven't fitted any.. :S the previous fitting was a complete borkage!! With only 1 rivet each side so there definitely was no tape there before we started
        Black B3 1990 CQ 2.3E converted to ABY & 6spd. (301bhp) - Now Sold
        03 Dolphin B6 S4 Avant LPG - New Daily Wagon
        01 Silver D2 A8 3.7 quattro sport - SOLD

"Difficult is worth doing"

Comment

Just to update this thread - in the hope of helping others avoid any bad experiences...

I had my heated coupoe screen fitted by Old School Screens in Cherstey - acceptable
          (but not great) job upon first inspection, I knew I had to realign one side trim and remove the black sealer they'd put between the side trim and the roof line... (on a red car...)

100 mile trip later, the screen was cracked...

Crack caused by the routing of the heating element wires between glass and frame, it cracked exactly where the wires crossed from outside to inside the car...

Old School Screens told me it was "impact damage" and didn't want to know...

Geting the new one fitted in 2 months time, will report the results...
          Last edited by LHD_Kid; 30 April 2016, 15:16. Reason: typo
          Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
          S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
          '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

Gemini windscreens, Chesterton, Staffs.
            Do a fantastic job

Comment

That's not good to hear. I have a coupe heated screen to fit soon and I hope the wires aren't an issue when fitting it.
              91 Modded 3B
              14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Supascreens in bham

Comment

Seems ok to own a coupe - as long as you are Midlands or up.....

Comment

What sort of money are people paying to have a screen fitted when you supply the glass?
                    91 Modded 3B
                    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

I paid £100 for my old windscreen to be removed and fitted with new seal

Comment

Originally posted by mac2226 View Post
                        I paid £100 for my old windscreen to be removed and fitted with new seal
                        This wasn't for a coupe though, right?

The top and bottom trims alone are over 100 quid......

Comment

I tried to buy both top and bottom seals the other day, but was told, even though they are still listed on ETKA, they are now NLA, shock!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LHD_Kid View Post

Crack caused by the routing of the heating element wires between glass and frame, it cracked exactly where the wires crossed from outside to inside the car...
                            why on earth were the heated wires on the out side??
                            Chef

Comment

Originally posted by kat1127 View Post
                              I tried to buy both top and bottom seals the other day, but was told, even though they are still listed on ETKA, they are now NLA, shock!!!!!
                              Got mine from TPS just 6 days ago.. along with the spacers and correct sized rivets... (and a pair of droplinks...)

@James. Don't know... this is why I was a bit more than angry... getting another one fitted in a couple of weeks - really hope I don't have to call you up for another screen...
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by LHD_Kid View Post
                                Got mine from TPS just 6 days ago.. along with the spacers and correct sized rivets... (and a pair of droplinks...)

@James. Don't know... this is why I was a bit more than angry... getting another one fitted in a couple of weeks - really hope I don't have to call you up for another screen...

What are these part numbers if you don't mind I am going to get my cracked screen replaced and would be good to have the bits

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                                X