Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sonic View Post
    (apologies again, 2 years later)

It was literally like putting a molten knife through butter, one wipe and it was gone!

Taught me alot...

Wet sanding is not hard at all, you have more of a chance at burning through the paint with a mop than wet flatting.

What paper were you using?

Oh and you should always sand in the same direction not in a hap-hazard way and stay away from edges they shine without flatting and polishing..

Comment

Originally posted by DJones View Post
      Wet sanding is not hard at all, you have more of a chance at burning through the paint with a mop than wet flatting.

What paper were you using?

Oh and you should always sand in the same direction not in a hap-hazard way and stay away from edges they shine without flatting and polishing..
      Probably something with too high grit at the time, and yes, it was on an edge
      S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

A little common sence and checking your progress as you go and using a very fine
        grade of paper ,2500,will reduce the chance of going through the paint .
        sigpic

Comment

just watched an episode of a car is reborn on sky where the amateur was wet flatting a new paint job on a Jag E type, now thats a bit brave

In my experience the only hassle is making sure the water is clean, smallest bit of grit under the paper will not make your day, used to use 1500 followed by 2000 then start polishing, Extra layer of paint on the respray dosen't go amiss as you take half of this off anyway

PJ
          1995 RS2 Nogaro
          1971 Lotus Elan Sprint
          1974 Lotus Elan+2S 130/5

Comment

I spray a contrasting colour on the finished job wash it around with thinners so that you end up with a smear of contrasting paint all over the new paint job and then use a small block with 2000 paper to rub it off.

The block means you only touch the high spots, well at least first, and you get a lovely flat panel to polish. Thinners wont touch cured 2pack and areas that do not come off with flatting, just wash them off with thinners prior to mopping.

You can see what i mean in the attached picture, roof is flatted and polished and you can see the black guide coat on the rear wing.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by DJones; 5 June 2010, 10:51.

Comment

The Perfectionist
              sigpic
              Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Working...
              X