sunroof stuck!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sunroof stuck!

LOL! sunroof is stuck open on tilt! Is there any manual override?
    Was a '93 3B, Dont ask now tho......

If you pull the panel off/ down i think/thought there was an allen type key to open /close the roof manually...... at least that what it says in my handbook.Apparently the key is attached to the back of the panel somewhere

Comment

Be really careful pulling that panel down, its really easy to break the tabs off the side facing you.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh
        Be really careful pulling that panel down, its really easy to break the tabs off the side facing you.
        Someones probably had a fiddle with mine in the past. I remember when i first got it and it used to randomly drop out while driving along.....the courtesy light in the boot still does this.

Comment

Sorted! got the bloody thing down, but cant find a fuse for it! Second audi ive owned and this'll be the second sunroof knackered!

Comment

Apparently there's a cable that runs all the way round the sunroof, could it be that?
            Irvin

'08-'0?:
            '97 Coupe, Kingfisher Blue
            '01-'08:
            '93 ABY Coupe, Milltek cat-back, Alpine dvd Sat-Nav/Changer

www.irvinduguid.com

Comment

Usually it's a relay. I repaired my with a local electornic guy in 10mins.
              Vadim.

New engine (mechanical PKM head) , Alcon 332mm brakes , Pauter rods , Mahle pistons, GT30R , kw v2 sucpension , new exhaust. 608HP. For SALE !

Comment

Once you have removed that cover, you will see the motor and the drive gear. In the cover you pulled down you should find a S shaped hex key. This should fit into a hex shaped recess in the centre of the drive gear. You should then be able to manually close the sunroof by rotating this S shaped hex key.

If the fault is electrical, it should be relatively simple to fix, if not cheap.

However, the sunroof is driven by a syncromesh gear, fitting into two cables that are located in the sunroof cartridge. These work like a rack and pinion. The cables are covered in a brush like material, which could initially be confused with dirt!! This is to clean out the pipes these cables run in. Mine seized, due to age, a water leak and lack of lubrication. To replace these, you need to remove the roof lining to get the sunroof cartridge out. Once it is out it is relatively easy to replace the cables, and possibly the gear if that is worn too. Its a good oppertunity to clean it all up and re-grease the bearing slides. Also an ideal time to give your roof lining a proper clean. I replaced my sunroof seal as well, which although not cheap, proved a worthwhile investment, as it totally cured my water leak. It also looks nice and new now. If you need more detailed info let me know.

HTH

Roo

Comment

@S2Roo: How much was the roof seal? Was thinking about replacing mine.
                  Irvin

'08-'0?:
                  '97 Coupe, Kingfisher Blue
                  '01-'08:
                  '93 ABY Coupe, Milltek cat-back, Alpine dvd Sat-Nav/Changer

www.irvinduguid.com

Comment

I got mine from V.A.G parts and I think it was about £35 - £40.
                    Speak to Martyn at V.A.G parts.

Roo

Comment

Yeah know all about the cables as one went on my old A4! Its deffo electrical, cos it goes down manually, so next step is the relay then! Who knows where that is?

Comment

The sunroof control is built into a double relay along with the electric window control. Position 5 & 6 in the realy board under the drivers side of the dash.

Ben
                        the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
                        1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

Originally posted by s2avant
                          The sunroof control is built into a double relay along with the electric window control. Position 5 & 6 in the realy board under the drivers side of the dash.

Ben
                          Cool, I might give you a bell at the weekend, if you fancy a beer!

Comment

I'm always up for

Bring it round and we'll have a look at the sunroof if you like.

Ben
                            the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
                            1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

Originally posted by s2avant
                              I'm always up for

Bring it round and we'll have a look at the sunroof if you like.

Ben
                              Cool, ill have to get the a/c fixed this week if i havent got a sunroof!

Comment

Working...
                              X