Front bumper fitment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front bumper fitment

My front bumper has been bugging me recently - it seems to sit lower than it should be maybe 8-10mm - so there is a gap between the top of the bumper and the headlight trims, and also the bottom of the bonnet, arrowed in this pic.

I can see the bottom mounting lugs for the headlights in the gap. Seems like it's not supposed to be like that so i thought there must be some more adjustment in the mountings behind the fogs. Had a look and they were already up as high as they could go so i whipped the bumper off and modded the brackets to extend the holes so i could move the bracket as high up as it would go, limited by the lip on the chassis leg.

So you'd think now I would have enough adjustment to get it perfect, but you'd be wrong Its still not enough to make it look as tight as the factory pictures.
    So the question, does the plastic in the bumper sag over time? Is there another variant in the bracket that is specific to the S2 bumper? (Since my car is a CQ and still using what it came with) Is there anyother way to solve this without having to fabricate my own bracket?

Anyone else got this problem? Seems odd
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

I have this with my RS2 bumper and Quattronutter is fixing it, take the bumper off and check that the mountings have not cracked, if they have it causes the bumper to sit lower under it's own weight.

Comment

You can grind the metal bracket bolt holes to allow the L shaped bracket to be bolted slightly higher. There also some play in the whole mounting bracket setup that allows the bumper to sag

Comment

hmm all I used to do was when refitting it sit in front of the bumper with a rachet and extensions and once the bolts was started use my legs to push the bumper up to the required hight then tighten it all up, never had an issue.

Comment

Yeah I have already modded the brackets to elongate the hole as much as possible, I can't actually have the brackets any higher as they are now in contact with the top lip on the chassis leg, where the bottom headlight mounts screw into.... and i still need to raise the bumper i would say 8-10mm to get it fitting perfectly. The bumper mounts are fine, no cracks

Looks like I might need to cut and weld the mounting brackets..
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I use a trolly jack with some timber bar that runs the length of the bumper, slow up and then wait till it comes tight. Try it!
            Chef

Comment

there must be a gap, at least 5mm i would say.

i have modded the bracket on my ex avant, and it looked wrong on the sides.

Audi Quattro WR

Comment

As the Skull said it has to be a 7mm gap otherwise it looks bad at the sides like the pic bellow ... Check the sides to be sure about the correct fitment ...
                Attached Files
                Audi 80 fan ...

Comment

I would consider my car to be in decent shape and I reckon the gap on my bumper is 7 - 10mm, the bumper sits dead level and the gap does not cause me to lose sleep at night....

Hope the pic helps...

Cheers,

Steve

Attached Files
                  The Perfectionist
                  sigpic
                  Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

yeah thats how mine sits Steve, just looks looser than the pictures from the factory brochures etc
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

You are right, the fit does look a lot tighter in the brochure pic. Probably a special car or something mocked up properly for the photoshoot. I don't think I have ever seen an S2 with tight bumper gaps...

I can understand it bugging you. I had never noticed the steering wheel is offset from the centreline of the instrument cluster until somebody pointed it out.
                      I have only been driving type 89 Audi's for 13 years too...

Cheers,

Steve
                      The Perfectionist
                      sigpic
                      Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Working...
                      X