rear light seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear light seal

Hi guys iv got a leak in the o/s rear light i have taken the rear light off and the seal was damaged in the process what i need to know is. Is the seal supposed to be a rubber one or of a stickey type of mastic the car had a rear bump on the o/s some time in its life so there might of been a repair to the light because the seal was of a sticky mastic type i don,t want to take the n/s off to check just in case i damage it iff its the stickey type. On ebay there is a rubber neoprene seal that fits ur Qs and also coupes would this be any good?

cheers.

The "seal" is the sticky type mastic you found.

If you've got water coming into your rear light and it's a coupe check it's not getting into the back of the unit.

The self tapping screws that hold the plastic trim down that runs across the bottom cill of the hatchback openning often let water leak past them and one of them happens to be directly above the back of the lamp unit. I got water in my lamp unit thinking it was getting in past the mastic seal, replaced the mastic only to find out the water was getting in to the back of the lamp as I've described.

John
    Last edited by johne; 30 October 2011, 09:48.

Comment

You can buy the seal from Audi but it comes on a huge roll, so you need a friendly parts guy who will sell you a metre or two. I use this:-

http://www.frost.co.uk/automotive-bo...-compound.html

Just roll it into a long thin bead in your hands, and it's re-usable.
      sigpic
      1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
      1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
      1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Thanks for the info guys the water must be coming in from the lamp as its really wet on the top of the lamp and the water as got to the black connecting plug for the bulb holder and is playing f--k with the electrics and the holder pins are all rusty i will have a check of the screws and replace the seal.

Cheers.

Comment

water also leaks in through the mounting holes for the ridged black tailgate trim piece, worth a look
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
          X