Boot Leaking!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot Leaking!!

My '93 B4 Coupe has a boot full of water!! I lifted the carpet and at the front right hand side, the plastic container under the carpet was full of water (also explains why the car's forever misting up!)

It looks like the seal where the boot lid shuts to the bodywork has perished as there's a chunk of the inside bit missing. If I just replace the seal will this likely fix the issue or is there a known problem as well that I should look for?

obviously replace the seal and see what happens the tail light might also be leaking. Remove it and reseal.

Comment

Yes, have done a bit more searching and found a few complaints about leaking near the tail light clusters. Will check that out, thanks.

Comment

I have a slight leak in the boot so I have removed the plastic bin. Rain water can then escape via the drains.

Never did manage to totally cure the leak, but vasaline around the boot seal can help. Ohh err. :mischeif:

Comment

Boot leaking

The tail lamp clusters are the usual suspects for boot leaks - the seals are still available from the dealers - It's a roll of sticky mastic cord - there are plenty of threads on here about leaking S2's to keep you amused
          Audi S2 Coupe 1995
          VW Passat GL5 (hatch) 1986
          VW Passat GL 1.8 (saloon) 1986
          Carrera Subway 8

Comment

As likely is through the screws holding the trim on.

The whole coupe draining arrangement is a bit nuts. Water runs down either side, outside of the rubber seal and under the trim that goes across the bottom. From under that trim it exits above the number plate. That trim across the bottom of the hatch opening is held in place by self tapping screws. Seal the screws or water will leak past them into the boot.

One of those screws is above the rear light cluster so if that screw is leaking, water drips onto the top of the back of the light cluster filling it with water making you think you've got a leak around the cluster

John

Comment

Working...
            X