Lead loading / body solder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lead loading / body solder

What are peoples thoughts on this? I have some bits of bodywork tidying to do and considering giving the solder a try. Its something I've always wanted to learn and just wondered what peoples thoughts are on it?
    Mainly thinking about using it to fettle the shape of one of my sills where I had to fabricate a new section where it had been damaged before and was full of filler - to me there is something wring with any more than a light skim of filler, it just seems like a pikey repair!

Cheers
    Alex
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

i have seen this done on an e type tub during resto and is an art not a skill. i too would love to know how as i wont be driving cars capable of ploughing through the pearly gates for ever a 1960s ***** extension sounds good.

from your threads you are a creative chap keep us informed of progress.

Comment

I have learnt the art of lead loading however it is one of those tasks where you never stop learning.
      Here is a few pics of a wing repair on my Audi 100 coupe S.
      There was a large rusty hole at the bottom of the wing. I first gently blasted the whole wing and then painted with black primer to stop it oxidising straight away.
      This is a hole at the bottom of the wing.
      I then tacked a small plate onto the rear to hold the lead until it sets.
      Then tap down the edges of the hole. I did not trim back any material so the lead has got more holes and bits to hold onto, there is no rot left to worry about due to blasting.

Then using a blow torch melt sticks of lead into the hole. Smooth the lead out using a piece of shaped wood and wax. A trade secret is to use real mole skin to smooth the surface of the lead.

Once the Lead has set, you can remove excess by using a rasp and then sand paper.

Then filler can be applied to the surface.
      The plus point to using lead and as little filler as possible is that the filler will be less likely to sink

Once the filler has been flatted it was re painted with primer....
      Audi Nut!!!

Comment

I've got some moles in the garden if you need one

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
        sigpic

Comment

That looks great Bry, where did you get your gear from? Seen it on frosts but its not cheap for a couple chuncks of lead and some wooden paddles!

I think I will give it a try some time, I like getting stuck into stuff like this.
          Maybe I'll get a knackered old panel to practice on first, I doubt trying to learn the basics on a vertical panel is the best idea!
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
          X