Leak fixing - Door seal sealant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leak fixing - Door seal sealant

I've been doing lots of work trying to get the coupe leak free so I can get the carpet back in! I've got it down to 2 spots, both if which I've traced to water wicking around the door seal where there is a join in the metal. To solve this problem, I'm going to spaff a load of sealant into the groove of the seal. Just trying to decide on windscreen sealant or silicon sealer. Thoughts? I've currently used some thin foam to prove the theory
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

I have used silicone sealant on one, it was all I had lying about.

However I think somebody mentioned you shouldn't as its acidic.
    Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
    Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Wynns do a black silicone free sealant in a trigger can it never hardens completely I even use it for exhaust joints as it withstands extreme conditions so well.

Comment

Take the trim off and re-seal it to the roof and re-fix with new rivets and the water won't get in there in the first place Its probably been leaking since the screen was replaced.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
        sigpic

Comment

don't use silicon Andy, if it must be a sealant use a non-setting mastic
          I used this stuff to reseal my screen & a-pillar trims:
          http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arbomast-A...#ht_709wt_1139
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I've spent a few hours in the rain looking at it and it's getting in where the seal has been opened out a little by some of the clips etc. that are held on place by it. Some foam has stopped the leak so I'm happy to seal it up and see. I rebuilt the trims to get rid of the drips and it's made a big difference... Real pain in the derrier.
            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

we should all just drill a couple holes in the floor and be done with it
              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Yeah, it's crossed my mind 1001 times and more

Will get it all sorted and back to daily status in a few months' time.
                Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

After a bit more investigation, I've still got water running down the driver's side A pillar. The passenger side B pillar seems to be fine now that I have sealed it up a little with a thin strip of foam - this suggests that my theory about the water wicking over in this area has credibility.

On the A pillar, I need to have another look at the windscreen trims and probrably take out the rivets and re-seal them on. What rivets do they use, so that I can get some in?
                  Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Newsh mentions rivets in his thread but no sizes.
                    Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Looking on kate (853-00), I get the following sizes -

+N 905 763 01 - A4x9x8x1.2 - Qty 16 (holds the gutter trim in place) - Qty 8 (holds the B pillar trim in place) -

+N 904 376 01 - A3.2x8 - Qty 2 (holds the top clip for the window trim in place).
                      Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Found the driver's side leak or at least where the water is coming from and point go to Newsh for a correct call! Whoever fitted the windscreen should have been fired for being incompetent

Time to rebuild it properly when I get some sealant.
                        Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Hi Rusty, sorry I missed your question about rivets. I actually got all the rivets I needed in a pop rivet kit from eBay

I drilled all the rivets out holding the gutter trim up to the B pillar and gently lifted it away from the car enough to clean out and introduce some self adhesive gasket strip. I figured this would allow me to lift the trim easily if I needed to change the screen again. The windscreen trim had a broken rivet on the little hook shaped bracket at the top which I replaced too. Since riveting it all back down with the gasket strip in there I've had no more problems with leakage.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                            we should all just drill a couple holes in the floor and be done with it
                            That's exactly what i did, I had to drain the pond somehow It was like that for about 6 months!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
                              That's exactly what i did, I had to drain the pond somehow It was like that for about 6 months!
                              My dad suggested a hammer and a 6 inch nail!

I opted for a sponge, should be a sponge in every coupe
                              Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                              Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Working...
                              X