Sealing rear panel join - found another leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sealing rear panel join - found another leak

I've been gradually getting rid of the leaks in the old girl and have been trying to track down a leak or two in the boot, which is filling up the rear tubs. I've traced it down to the rear panel joint that's hidden by the piece of carpet which sits at the rear of the boot. This must be due to the replacement of that panel following a 5mph rear impact in 2007 - yet more problems due to work not being completed properly!

Anyway, my question is, what should I use to seal the rear panel? I think it best to remove the rear bumper and seal both the inner and outer sides of the panel joint, to stop water getting in and make sure that it's sorted properly.

Should I use panel sealant or is there another product that is recommended? I guess it needs to cure off but be flexible too, otherwise I'd just use windscreen sealant (as I have a whole tube after doing the side trims )

Cheers, in advance for any help
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

get yourself some 3M polyurethane seam sealer mate, its not cheap but its meant for the job. Can also be overpainted

http://www.3mselect.co.uk/p-2870-3m-...dge-black.aspx
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I would seal from the outside after giving it a really good clean up, as it's behind the bumper you will not see it anyway.. Run a heat gun gently around the area to warm it up and dry out any moisture, don't seal the inside untill it's all dried out in there just in case you end up sealing some moisture in.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

Cheers kids, that's along the lines of what I expected so I'll get on with it
        Cheers'en, AndyC
        1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Working...
        X