No announcement yet.

fiberglass straightening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you guys! I will let you know how i will solve this.
    All the best!

Comment

To fix properly grind off white gel coat, lay up matt in layers to the correct height contouring to shape, tissue matt and then re-gel to finish, cutting and bending only causes more stressing in the grp and this will eventually come back only to a lesser extent, many years working with lotus elans has taught me to do it properly the first time, wear a mask when grinding as its nasty stuff, good luck
      1995 RS2 Nogaro
      1971 Lotus Elan Sprint
      1974 Lotus Elan+2S 130/5

Comment

Thank You! I will do my best!

Comment

Originally posted by PaulJ View Post
          To fix properly grind off white gel coat, lay up matt in layers to the correct height contouring to shape, tissue matt and then re-gel to finish, cutting and bending only causes more stressing in the grp and this will eventually come back only to a lesser extent, many years working with lotus elans has taught me to do it properly the first time, wear a mask when grinding as its nasty stuff, good luck
          Fibreglass has a fairly good degree of flexibility and this is of course why this situation has occurred..countering the distortion by either removing a section or strengthening or adding additional mass to the internal sides, will counteract any distortion - providing the section that section that needs to be 'corrected' is kept firmly in place - during the operation.
          Gelcoat is surely only to be used as the 'first coat' - when it is initiially entering the mould.

Comment

Is clear that you know MUCH more about fiberglass as i do....I dont know how those guys have made my bumper...but..i need to cut the upper lip after the bent(corner) and then keep that up with something...straight edge...and add under some more fiber and glue...
            I hope i will be able to straighten this up..as the funds are not ok right now for an new good one
            Thank You again for the kind answers!
            All the best!
            Eugen

Comment

Working...
            X