No announcement yet.

Lower door strips - RS2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once they started there is no going back. I'm having mine replaced all 4 until Aron does his magic

Comment

i need these. be good to get an idea of when they will be ready??

Comment

Two of my door trims are now totally off. My RS2 is not looking good now and I would have bought new trims if it was not for Arons project.

The only problem now is that I don't know how long time Aron is planning to finish his job making them. He is very restrictive, on this forum, with his updates around the progress of this job and I wonder if he might not be able to do it. If it takes another year to complete the project I would buy new ones instead and maybe treat them with some proper anti corrosion sticky oil stuff on the backside.

Comment

Originally posted by Latz View Post
          I would buy new ones instead and maybe treat them with some proper anti corrosion sticky oil stuff on the backside.
          This is the stage I'm at now. If aaron gets these complete I will still take a set as spares of course. But my front driver side is coming away form the door so I'm looking to replace the 4 doors with OEM in a few months time - no choice really, as Vas says there's no going back...

So the question is - what can be done to prevent the corroding? The car will be garaged once I get these done, which I'm sure will help, but some greasing or anti-rust paint or something must be a good way to extend the life.
          AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Im in the same position here,need 3 out of the 4 and trying to hold off getting the dealer ones,a good coat of zinc primer will hold off any rust issues on the new ones

Comment

Same boat, need all 4 door parts, and playing the waiting game can result in NLA
              Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

Totally agree,and if we all went to dealer they may not be able to supply them all!
                Do you think a group buy could be sorted with some discount??

Comment

Same boat too. group buy would be ace

Comment

I would just buy them whilst you have a chance.

Problem with them is that there is nowhere for water to drain out.
                    Rot is inevitable, although the originals lasted about 16 years on the RS2 I had.
                    The second set are still good, aside from one that lasted just 4 years....

Not easy to get them coated properly inside the steel channel.
                    RS2+ (now sold...)

Comment

• Hmm,guess what,my local tps say they are nla!!!
                      Can i get these from any other source?
                      Does anyone have the part numbers to check on Audi tradition

Comment

• I suspect this has been asked and discussed many times but I can't find a link. Anyhow, without removing mine to find out, how do the strips attach (slide on or clipped on) to the pegs on the door? Secondly I take it they are impossible to repair?
                        Sorry again as I suspect this is a doh question but if you don't ask.......

Comment

• Originally posted by Veg View Post
                          I suspect this has been asked and discussed many times but I can't find a link. Anyhow, without removing mine to find out, how do the strips attach (slide on or clipped on) to the pegs on the door? Secondly I take it they are impossible to repair?
                          Sorry again as I suspect this is a doh question but if you don't ask.......
                          Clips on the pegs on doors. And moulding slides on the clips.

Comment

• Are these strips now available? where from?

Comment

• More RS2 door strip woes, Potential solution

Hi Folks

Recently tried to buy new door strips, Have managed to get 3 out of 4 but the OSR is not available for even Audi Tradition

As with them all the metal strip has turned itself back into iron oxide so I was left with a car undergoing a repaint with 3 strips, not a great place to be so whats the options ?

Anyway I removed all traces of the old rusty strip and had made 316 stainless strips following exactly the same size profile which I'm told is a PITA as thebender will not accept anything that small and so the turn over was hand formed over a bar. That just leaves them to be bonded back into place

The originals literally just peeled off the Polyurethane moulding leaving a rusty mess

Once I work out how I'll post up some pics

I did notice that the factory primer is definitely not the right stuff and appears to have no plasticiser added and simply cracks if you catch it getting out the front doors so that's going to be removed and recoated

Paul
                              1995 RS2 Nogaro
                              1971 Lotus Elan Sprint
                              1974 Lotus Elan+2S 130/5

Comment

• Look at autewo.de

They may have a complete set

Comment

Working...
                                X