DIY wing/bumper respray: TIPS NEEDED!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY wing/bumper respray: TIPS NEEDED!

As I can't afford to do a full respray straight away, I've decided to go down DIY route. There are panels that need some attention due to rust, such as wings, and bumper is all faded. I've done some research and it turns out you can get decent quality with using electric spray guns.

As my experience with painting are domestic, and spraying calipers , I have some questions and some things that I just want to check if I have the right idea.

Wings have some lacquer peeling off, so should I strip panels down to bare metal?

I did some reading about primers, base coats etc.

So, the order would be:

Self Etch primer first, then high build primer with some wet sanding to make panel smoother then 2-3 of base coat and then 3-4 clear coat?

I can't seem to find anything useful on polishing once clear coat has been dried, any suggestions?

Tips and suggestions appreciated.
    '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
    '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
    '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

http://ds23pallas.hubpages.com/hub/P...with-cellulose
    May be useful.
    I've bought a compressor and intend to paint some parts for my tdi.
    I'm going to a friends body shop this week to get some of his left overs paint.
    I've a few old panels that I'm going to work on before doing important panels.
    I've not seen good results with an electric gun

Comment

Originally posted by bluequattro View Post
      http://ds23pallas.hubpages.com/hub/P...with-cellulose
      May be useful.
      I've bought a compressor and intend to paint some parts for my tdi.
      I'm going to a friends body shop this week to get some of his left overs paint.
      I've a few old panels that I'm going to work on before doing important panels.
      I've not seen good results with an electric gun
      Thanks. I will probably take door off A100 and try on that first, just to see how it goes. What I like about electric spray guns is there is almost no overspray, and I don't have access to a big space, otherwise compressor and spray gun would be the obvious choice.
      '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

I'm going to buy a gazebo and spray in there

Comment

That's a good idea actually. If i do go down air route, what sort of guns should i look at, there are guns for 20 quid upto hundreds. Thanks
          '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Dunno! I'm new to spraying too. A cheapo gun came with my compressor, so I'm practicing first with that.
            I have a mate that's been spraying for years, he s going to teach me how to set guns up.
            I've also bought an airbrush to do detail work (and the wife wants flames on her vw van!)

Comment

Originally posted by bluequattro View Post
              Dunno! I'm new to spraying too. A cheapo gun came with my compressor, so I'm practicing first with that.
              I have a mate that's been spraying for years, he s going to teach me how to set guns up.
              I've also bought an airbrush to do detail work (and the wife wants flames on her vw van!)
              Another reason to go for electric, in my case, no setup needed. I feel like if i go air route I'll just waste money and get nothing done or finish will be horrifying.
              '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Get a Devilbiss!! The best.
                96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                96 URS6 plus speck estate
                94 2.6 80 Avant
                99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Those guns are steep
                  '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Good job i still got mine then. Mine is no longer available a JGA 558 with (30) cap as i sprayed 5 cars with mine in solid colours last one in 1996. Its great to do your own so you can control the quality but with all the consumables it really adds up to a lot so not really a good idea unless you plan to do several cars.
                    96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                    96 URS6 plus speck estate
                    94 2.6 80 Avant
                    99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Originally posted by hunker7 View Post
                      Another reason to go for electric, in my case, no setup needed. I feel like if i go air route I'll just waste money and get nothing done or finish will be horrifying.
                      Do not waste money on things and try to do it on your own.You will regret it.
                      Also do not try to waste money on quality tools.If you are not experienced the result will be bad and it is a time/money waste.
                      Do what you do for leaving,get the money,get the rust blasted(sand,ice,soda etc),get por 15 on it and paint it at paintshop.

Comment

Working...
                      X