Door hinge/ S -spring adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door hinge/ S -spring adjustment

I bought recently -93 Aby Coupe. Doors won´t quite stay open. Is there way to adjust the S -spring on the door hinge. I tried to bend it but did not make difference. Have the spring "died" over the years?

If the hinge is weak then replacement is the only option, but sometimes the cams that catch the spring can spin incorrectly and not hold the door properly.

The cams on the bottom of the hinge here catch the spring.
    Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

Thanks. I looked at the cams but feels like the spring should press the cam a bit harder

Comment

I have the same problem on my drivers door, passenger one is ok. I think about fixing it every time the door closes on my shin..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
        sigpic

Comment

New lower hinge seem to be expensive ~140€ have to look for used ones if they would be better
          Last edited by hiloran; 27 October 2014, 04:38.

Comment

Find some used ones from a LHD drive car. The "passenger" side are not usually worn as much & still work to hold the door open.
            HTH, Chris
            "Nulla tenaci invia est via"

Comment

Any ideas how solved a free moving doors at hinge? Any repair or modifying? Right and left doors are too free, it doesnt hold position, and if i stay with car from the hill, it kicks me to the ***
              Audi Coupe Quattro 2.3 20V

Comment

The springs snap inside the bracket so you can't necessarily see the problem. There is no amount of adjusting that will help and this is why your don't won't hold open. Both my doors are like this, I've got spare hinges but they are a pain to fit and more pain again to adjust so I'm putting it off

Comment

As above, if the spring isn't applying pressure all the time its scrap. I just changed my drivers door hinge and its so nice to have one that stays open in both positions, and doesn't drop when you open the door either.

The hinges are the same for the left and right side of the car so just grab some passenger door hings from a scrap yard. Its a pain in the butt having to repaint them to match, but worth it.
                  91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                  93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                  94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

I have some hinges from another car, so i repaint them and will see. There two hinges on one side, right?So only change the bigger one with spring?

Thanks

Comment

Depends on how badly worn the top hinge is. If you open the door and try to lift it you will be able to see how much free play is in the hinges.

Comment

Only that problem that hinges doesnt hold door in positions when i open/close doors. U need to hold door all the time when u are from or to hill

Comment

Hi fitted brand new hinges to mine, you have remove the wing and door to change

Comment

upper or lower? Because the bottom ones, that hold door in positions, isnt it?

Picture borrowed from Greg

number 5 (that lower one)

Comment

Originally posted by kulster View Post
                              Hi fitted brand new hinges to mine, you have remove the wing and door to change
                              No you dont, open the door fully and place a jack under it to take the weight, i also recommend having an assistant hold it too for safety. To access the side bolt just remove the front wheel arch liner and plastic trim piece and you can reach in with a spanner to undo the nut.

Originally posted by Tom_ View Post
                              upper or lower? Because the bottom ones, that hold door in positions, isnt it?

number 5 (that lower one)

Yes the lower one has the spring.

P.S. Don't ever try to open or close the spring by hand, always mount it in a vice and use a pair of vice grips. I can only imagine what would happen if you managed to close it with your finger inside

Comment

Working...
                              X