stiff door hinges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stiff door hinges

This is starting to annoy me Before I bought the car it was stood for 2 years. Two doors are pretty stiff to open/close. Tried all sorts nothing is working

Any suggestions?

'93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
    '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
    '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

engine oil? usually works for me

Comment

Originally posted by mike74 View Post
      engine oil? usually works for me
      So just pour some oil on the hinges and move them about?
      '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Plusgas will get them moving. Then you need to get some grease into them really. Those white grease aerosols are quite good as the grease is dissolved in solvent so it penetrates quite well. On the later models Audi had the foresight to put grease nipples on the hinges
        Not sure if these could be retro fitted without seeing the hinges
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
          Plusgas will get them moving. Then you need to get some grease into them really. Those white grease aerosols are quite good as the grease is dissolved in solvent so it penetrates quite well. On the later models Audi had the foresight to put grease nipples on the hinges
          Not sure if these could be retro fitted without seeing the hinges
          I'll give that a try. Tried WD40 and all sorts of chain oils nothing helped.
          '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

If nothing at all has helped then they're possibly corroded inside. You may end up having to take them apart for a proper clean and lube up
            I normally just drizzle some oil over the hinge and move the door around...hasn't failed me yet

Comment

Originally posted by mike74 View Post
              If nothing at all has helped then they're possibly corroded inside. You may end up having to take them apart for a proper clean and lube up
              I normally just drizzle some oil over the hinge and move the door around...hasn't failed me yet
              I can't see visible corrosion on them. I think it's just the oil doesn't get in the right places properly.

Taking them off is pain in the back side Wing needs to come off and all
              '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

You could try some of that Wurth Ice freezer stuff, that penetrates pretty well.

Or mix some oil or ATF with a little petrol, that should wick in there. I wouldn't use the ATF /Acetone mix in case it melts the paint.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X