WTF are these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF are these?

I have these on both doors in the same position. I suspect that the one on the drivers side is responsible for allowing water to breach the door seal allowing water in under the sill trim. After a downpour there is alway water hanging around that area.
    So what are they and should they be there?
    Attached Files

It's a locator for the door card and it should be in the hole that you can see behind it. It could be pushing against the door seal and letting water in, as you say.
    John

A Small Collection...

Comment

So basically one of the previous owners has had the door cards off and not replaced them correctly? So this tang should be inside the door frame where the slot in the door is.

Comment

Yup!
        John

A Small Collection...

Comment

Originally posted by LYT4X View Post
          Yup!
          Many thanks! Saved a lot of head scratching!

Comment

Ok still confused about this. Can't see what it has to do with the door card at all. Seems to be associated with the window frame. Is it correctly fitted?
            Attached Files

Comment

its an adjuster for the window cartridge to allow it to be moved in/out with the removal/addition of more of the U shape metal pieces that you will find if you remove the bolt. You should be able to undo the bolt slightly and push them up out of sight.

Comment

Apparently they are called Cover Plates p/n 895837517B! The diagram shows them fitted at the rear and the required number is 2. There seems to be another distance piece sandwiched between the frame and the door. Presuambly they are to prevent those pieces from dropping through the slots in the bottom of the doors but as fitted they are nowhere near them.
                Doesen't look like they have been disturbed in 25 years so am reluctant to touch them in case it causes other window issues. Clearly they are slotted so would move further, assuming they are not as far up as they can go.
                Can't seem to find a pic confirming the fitment.
                Attached Files

Comment

The only decent pic I can find of a bare door seems to show something square and shiney on the outside of the door skin which is suspiciously recessed rather than just a round washer.
                  http://www.s2forum.com/forum/attachm...7&d=1462485117

Comment

Can anyone confirm that they are fitted correctly by looking at the bottom of their door. Don't have to take the doorcard off! To me it seems that would fit better if they were on the outside of the door with the bottom part through the slot into the door rather than on the inside with the clip outside the door.

Comment

And this diagram doesn't help you? (Items 10 or 12 at the bottom of the door)

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                      94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Not really as the shape of it could just as easily fit the inside of the door frame as the outside!
                        As fitted it seems to interfere with the door seal and it doesn't seem to offer much protection for the distance piece falling out, if that is its function. If it was bolted on the outside and the tang went through the slot into the door, then it wouldn't interfere with the door seal and be underneath the distance piece.
                        Just doesen't look right to me and the only reference I have is the other door which is exactly the same! That why I need a sanity check for correct fitment.

Comment

It's dead simple, if you look to the first pic in your post, it shows the angled part of the "cover plate" following the contour of the door frame, where it should be positioned inside the slot so as not to interfere with the door seal. HTH.

Comment

Thats half a answer!
                            I still don't know if its supposed to be sandwiched between the windowframe/distance piece side or the door/doorcard side if you see what I mean.
                            It will be bent all out of shape anyway now!

Comment

It should be fitted on the outside of the frame, with the angled part inside the slot, i.e., it is placed directly underneath the washer of the hex bolt. I hope I've made myself clear.

Comment

Working...
                              X