Fog lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fog lights

Are these cars meant to have 2 fog lights on the rear.

Only asking because when investigating some lights that had blown, I took off the left bulb cluster holder and found that 1-there was no bulb then 2- there was no hole for the bulb to go into the tail light.

Any theories?

Cheers
    Dave

'93 ABY coupe

DAve, we only have one rear fog. BUT... it damn simple to get two :-) on the Avant, there is a piece of plastic in the hole, all you do is cut it out and fit a bulb and holder in there. The wiring is already there! so just pulg in and go :-) A £3.00 mod, wish they were all this easy!

Martyn
    Martyn
    -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

wish they were all this easy!

Martyn [/B]
      If only!!

I had a feeling it might be something like that, do you know why they only have one when the wiring and everything is there?

Oh and is that your pet on the bike!!
      Dave

'93 ABY coupe

Comment

Yup, German cars have always been like this, the theory is that if you have just the one rear fog light on the outside of the car (middle of the road side) then the car behind can clearly tell you have a fog light on and not that you're braking!

Well, thats the theory anyhow! Thats my pet zebra on my bike
        Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

It is sooooo simple to get both fogs working and if you have a third brake light as well, then anyone behind would still be able to tell the difference.
          ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

Originally posted by sidspud
            and if you have a third brake light as well,
            How do you get a third brake light?
            Is it mucho complicato!

Cheers
            Dave

'93 ABY coupe

Comment

I've got a third brake light on my spoiler.

ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

The only problem with putting an extra bulb in is that there is no reflector in the other light so the bulb will be dimmer. I've looked at doing this but stopped when I found no silvery bits!
                Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

Leigh, have to disagree there mate.... I fitted the 'second' fog light a while back, no noticeable difference at all in level of light...

Martyn
                  Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

When I ordered my bulb holder the parts guy commented on this.

My Avant had the reflector already there, so it looks like a proper install.
                    ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

Hmm - now I wonder what's been wired up on the RS2 - I don't think I ever bothered to check. The S3 only has one rear fog light working and we've not got round to sorting that out.

Sidspud - your third brake light looks fantastic! I want one!

Comment

@ Martin

me and my presumptions again! Does it have a reflector in there? I'm sure mine didn't.

So you just remove the blanking bit from the light and stick a bulb in?

Leigh
                        Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

I didn't really look to be honest!! just cut out the blanking plug and stick a bulb in there with a holder! the wiring was there, all I had to do was plug in and off it went! I didn't look to see if it had a reflector...!! but they do both look the same level of light output!

Martyn
                          Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Working...
                          X