X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front lower chassis brace

Nothing particularly high tech this

I've built a new lower brace to stiffen the car across the tunnel and to lock the subframe mounting points in, very similar to what Audi have done with the B5 and later chassis upfront.

Made from 14 gauge 1" tube to keep weight down. Ally would have been nice but I can't weld it. Only using basic hand tools, notching tube is really, really difficult!

It mounts onto the back two subframe bolts, and two brackets which I'd previously welded to the front of the chassis rails during my underbody refresh. There is plenty of clearance for a 3" system here and ground clearance is not a problem either, its lower profile than the cat protectors would be.

It makes a noticeable improvement in the handling, the car feels sharper and more responsive, with less slop with the suspension loaded. From my testing on my private test roundabout you can hold a tighter line without scrubbing wide, there is more front end grip at the limit. Just like adding a strut brace all over again - a good free upgrade.

The plan is to triangulate this back to another tunnel cross-brace just behind the gearbox. I'm going to be removing my resonator soon as it hangs too low wince I fitted the longer 6 speed box. Clearance is tricky and I need to leave room for a 3" system.

I'm also working on a couple of little brackets to lock the rear subframe down.
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Nice
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

I've been thinking about one of these! Need to figure out 3" clearance, maybe some oval tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      1995 1PissedOff90sigpic1991 USDM CQ 7aT

Comment

Thats awesome, another one for the to do list

Coping tube manually is a little challenging, I've used this in the past, only worth it if you have lots of different angles & dangles to pull off.

http://metalgeek.com/static/cope.pcgi

I found a downloadable version but for the life of me I can't find it.
        2000 B5 A4 Quattro Sport ~ 2.0 20V GT30R ~ Gone
        1993 S2 ABY Coupe ~ Gone
        1989 2.2E Coupe ~ Gone

Comment

Originally posted by Mcstiff View Post
          I've been thinking about one of these! Need to figure out 3" clearance, maybe some oval tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Plenty of space for 3" with this one bar, a brace across the tunnel further back would be more tricky. I think it'd be easier on an S2 as they are slightly wider at the bottom of the tunnel for the cats, especially the 3B... but still very tricky, it'd need to go between the prop and and the exhaust.

Originally posted by Twenny Benson View Post
          Thats awesome, another one for the to do list

Coping tube manually is a little challenging, I've used this in the past, only worth it if you have lots of different angles & dangles to pull off.

http://metalgeek.com/static/cope.pcgi

I found a downloadable version but for the life of me I can't find it.
          Thats an awesome little program dude, wish I'd had that before!
          I'm sure that'll be helpful for the other little bits I'm planning, nice one
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Very nice. I fitted one of these to a CRX in my honda days and it made an amazing difference, and that car was half the weight of a coupe. If you can come up with a bolt on solution i'll take one
            91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
            93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
            94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Awesome, mind if I copy that as well?

One thought, is the subframe alignment still able to be adjusted?
              Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
              Sold ABY-stock

Comment

When i build roll cages for land rovers I use a hole saw in the pedestal drill to notch the tube.

not my picture but gives you the idea....

Works spot on.

Audi Nut!!!

Comment

Of course Andy, do as you please mate thats why I post these bits up
                  You'd need to get your subframe aligned first I guess, or use slightly oversize holes

Brian I saw those kind of fixtures for pillar drills and hand drills that mount in the vice, the good quality ones are still dear though, £150+
                  I guess you will get a lot of use out of yours mind

I did find these little gadgets that i though was a good idea: still not cheap though
                  http://www.pipemastertools.com/
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

great bit of work there pal

Comment

You should start taking orders.. Nice bit of work
                      Stuart
                      B2 90 quattro with boost

Comment

I like that I'd like to recreate that for a 3" exhaust, would need to put in a fixing on the exhaust and bracket to stop them touching

Very popular mod on the Golf MK 2 and it makes a huge difference

Comment

There is plenty of clearance for a 3" system, you could get a 4" through if you tried - probably need to alter the front section to suit though, exhaust builders are lazy they will probably have followed a straight line not followed the route of maximum clearance
                          Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by SE_30 View Post
                            You should start taking orders.. Nice bit of work
                            Yeah I reckon there will be quite a few takers, what is it like for ground clearance once it is in place?

Does it fit the rear too?
                            Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Maybe you can see the ground clearance better in this pic:

It does not reduce the ground clearance even as much as the OE Cat protectors on an ABY.

Rear is more difficult, I'm working on something
                              Indigo ABY coupé
                              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
                              X