Car dollies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car dollies

Another low budget diy project. We have a quite big garage with my friend, but it's really diffucult to get two cars inside because of the chape of it. If we could move the first car sideways it would be easy to drive the second car inside. So we have think about to buy car dollies, but you know, with a low budget even 100-200€ is much so maybe a diy solution would be nice on this one.

Also when you put normal dollies under your tires you have to jack the car up every time, so it would be nice if you could drive the car on/off them. We only need to move the car sideways so we don't need turning rollers on the dollies.

Normal dollies:

I was thinkin of to made dollies like this. The profile bend of tear plate, the rollers made of steel and so on... everything diy.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
    Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
    BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
    BMW 740iA e38 - Project

You could go with hydraulic car dolly set. maybe add €100 to what you are thinking of spending. That way you won't even have to start the car to get the car on the dolly.
    Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

Yeah, have look't at hydraulic dollies as well 4 of them is a ~400 euro set over here. The budget for the diy dollies is 0 euro.

We only need them if we want two cars in the garage at the same time. Can drive on them directly when you drive in to the garage.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Sorry I misread about the 100-200 euro.
        Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

Thuppu, i would suggest to add some stiffness (linear inertia) via some triangular strips underneath the part where your wheel is going to be placed versus the mounting strip for the rollers.
          Stops it from bending through your overspan between the rollers.
          The rollers/wheels i would suggest to use some kind of PE to make it silent.
          But from your previous projects i've seen you are keen on (re)using parts found in your daily job routine, i have that habit as well!
          Attached Files

Comment

Yeah your right, it propably need some bracing to get the profile stiff. Steel wheels = 0 euro, something else = XX? euro.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

I thought this thread was gonna be about, well, car dollies.. imagine my disappointment...

Comment

Sorry to disappoint you. But if you put "Car dollies" in google you maybe get a clue what this is about.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

A very good idea!

Comment

The problem with most of the cheaper wheel type dollies is the wheels on the dolly. They don't have ball bearing casters. So when you try to push them around, it is rubber on the steel axle, and the rubber just deforms and is hard to push. Years ago I picked up a set of cheap ones, used, and just replaced the casters with good ball bearing axle caster. Made a world of difference and keep the price cheap.

Greg W.
                    They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

Working...
                    X