help with DIY cross member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with DIY cross member

hi, im looking for some help and advice...
    i have been wanting to make myself a cross member for FMIC but i am not a fabricator. my attempts have been far too heavy duty resembling snow plough mountings and not intercooler mountings
    i am asking for those of you who made your own, what materials and dimensions you used and what clearance issues you have had, and what you used for snub mount?
    pictures tell a thousand words.
    thanks in advance

Hello, i have made a few (by that I mean I made a design, bought and cut the stainless steel and had a guy up the road weld them together)

I dont have the dimensions anymore but maybe the pics in this thread will help:
    http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20206
    91 S2 coupé - RIP
    98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

cheers bo, i have looked at your IC build and thats where i seen what im after, i have tried before to get hold of one of yours and think i might just have got lucky

Comment

91 S2 coupé - RIP
        98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

Not an endorsement as I can't comment on the fitment or quality, but here is an inexpensive option from 034:

Intercooler core support for B3/B4 early Audi cars, replace the bulky OEM core support with a much lower profile support that allows the fitment of a much larger intercooler.

Built from mild steel and MIG welded, manufactured to be affordable and easily modifiable, custom mounts can be bolted or welded on to suit any intercooler installation as well as hanging ancilary components as well.

Snub mount bracket is also integrated into the support and moved closer to the motor, it features separate mounting holes that are slotted to allow different engine heights, etc. Snubber bracket will need to be modified by cutting the aluminum support shorter and grinding the support ribs to allow the snub mount to sit flush against the bracket - giving much more room to mount an intercooler. We recommed running our Poly Snub Mount

Shipped as pictured and unpainted.
          http://www.034motorsport.com/chassis...s-p-18107.html

There is also this one from the Wagner kit. It can be obtained separately IIRC...

Use the pics/description for reference or inspiration if nothing else.

Cheers
          Last edited by Wheeljack; 24 October 2011, 20:47.

Comment

They advise to cut the snub mount shorter but that could course problems when using the crack lock tool to undo the crank bolt. Unless they are only talking about shaving of a few mm..

That cross member could make a good template though..
            91 S2 coupé - RIP
            98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

that 034 item looks ideal and i wasnt aware it was available.. as for the wagner one i thought it was too pricey for what is ultimately a piece of pipe with some brackets welded on,
              i have just bough one of the ones bo had made, (cheers to djh) i doubt there is any room for improvement on design and functionality but i still fancy attempting to make one myself and stealing the measurements bo made
              i will post some pics when i eventually get started...
              cheers

Comment

Originally posted by s2_bo View Post
                They advise to cut the snub mount shorter but that could course problems when using the crack lock tool to undo the crank bolt. Unless they are only talking about shaving of a few mm..

That cross member could make a good template though..
                i wouldnt fancy cutting the snub mount. is the design of their nylon bush different? i have yet to try to get the crank bolt loose but will have to do it soon when all the front end is off. im hoping my windy gun will do it as i aint got the special tool.
                i just bought one of the batch you had made, so will probs use that while i get my own one together

Comment

Borrow or make a crank locking tool, the rattle gun approach has wrecked a few of these engines.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                  sigpic

Comment

special tool now on my list

cheers for the warning, i dont like the thought of wrecking my engine

Comment

Good man!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X