Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S2 re shell

Hi New to the S2forum.

I've been looking around for a while but just registered today, My plan is to re shell a 94 on S2 into an 1988 coupe shell , What I can gather all the S2 Coupes are B3 platform? If this is correct will everything bolt over and is there any differences between the Quattro and FWD shell?

Thanks
    89 Mk2 Golf 16v

Huge differences between FWD and Quattro coupes. The floor pans and rear ends are different.

If it was a saloon, you might have some chance converting it to quattro but you would need doner bits from a real saloon/avant quattro to complete it.
    Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, so even a Quattro shell wont do? I see your from Cork you can Prob understand the reasons why im considering this!
      89 Mk2 Golf 16v

Comment

I understand the reasons alright I dont know if its the way to go, It may end up costing more than VRT to do the conversion. (labour, time, bits that break , etc etc.)

If you had a quattro shell then you can do it. A 1994 is most likely an aby s2 so it will have the bigger bolts holding the subframes to the body but you can easily deal with that. There might be a differnt in engine mounts too. If you are transferring the loom you will probably have to transfer the battery box from under the rear seat too.
        Eric

Comment

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23884

Here is a long thread, it deals with many things, but also with getting an ABY into a CQ.
          Eric

Comment

So Its possible But a fair bit of fabrication providing I can even find a Quattro shell? From your experience do many come up for sale here S2s that is? And do what sort of money do they bring? Cant recall many for sale here , If any
            89 Mk2 Golf 16v

Comment

Thanks ill have a read
              89 Mk2 Golf 16v

Comment

A good S2 ABY coupe usually goes on the forum for around ÂŁ5k -ÂŁ6k , add €1500 to that for VRT and you have the bones of €7500/€8000 in total. For that kind of money it would have to be perfect though.
                I have not seen any aby coupes for sale here since I bought my one. http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37501
                Eric

Comment

Yea there not common at all over here, The VRT isnt to bad I expected more as there not listed on the calculator, Is that from experience? Ive a lot of research to do yet on it , thanks for your replys
                  Last edited by YBT4; 31 December 2014, 13:39.
                  89 Mk2 Golf 16v

Comment

Thats from experience, both of my S2's had about €1500 vrt. (150K miles coupe and 97k miles avant) The revenue dont list the quattro/ S2s'/ RS2s as they are down as classic collectable so they have to apply to Shannon for a vrt quote.
                    Eric

Comment

Its not cheap all the same, can I ask was that recently? As you know they can do what they want really , if a year or 2 has gone by god only knows what it is now!
                      89 Mk2 Golf 16v

Comment

It was 2009 and 2010. They can ask what they want, thats true, but its usually 36% of open market selling price. Since not many have sold in ireland since it might not have changed that much, but yea you wont know until you apply.
                        Eric

Comment

Yes if I suppose but then again if not many have been registered they might up the value as there rarer , I think there Is a system for getting quotes off them but never looked into it, Thats the first thing I will Do ,
                          Thanks
                          89 Mk2 Golf 16v

Comment

Having been there and done it, just buy an s2 it's cheaper quicker and easier
                            There are some benefits though - lighter shell, no requirement for a cat, and errr...yeah that's it actually
                            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

You definitely know what your talking about all 88 pages of the build, I have only got about half way so far but skipped to the end to see the result, fabulous job and attention to detail, beautiful car, I'll take your advice and stick to an original ,
                              89 Mk2 Golf 16v

Comment

Working...
                              X