X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Afterrun Pump - Part numbers and Suppliers

Hi there,

Wondered if the collective could help me ?

Have had a coolant leak for a week or two and finally had the chance to find what the problem is.

The leak is coming from this part. I have removed it and it looks like a water pump / after run pump. Is this correct ? The part no is 392 020 054.

Can the S2 function without it, like it can cope without the aux radiator, or is it best to replace it ? If I need a new one where would be best to go to get one ? Or has any one got one to sell ?
    Attached Files

thats the after run pump mate
    its function is to cool the turbo after a good thrash
    similar to a turbo timer
    it pumps water around the turbo when the car has stopped
    so as not to damage the turbo and therefore letting it cool down slowly
    1. SHORT SHIFT KIT
    2. PORSCHE CAYENNE CALIPERS
    3. H & R SPRINGS
    4. BILSTEIN SHOXS
    5. NEW BUSHES AND HP2 STRUTS
    6. UPRATED HIGH OUTPUT COIL PACK
    7. ,3" turbo back s/s/ exhaust
    8. fmic fitted

Comment

Are these very expensive as dont think mine runs the fan cuts in a minuite or so after i switch the car off if its hot but i felt the pump when the fan was running didnt feel like it was running

I am thinking the sensor is ok as the fan is cutting in

Comment

@Dan think i got mine from the stearlers from just under £120 iirc easy fit
        Chef

Comment

@ Dan s2 coupe: you can check if the pump runs by getting a mate to turn the ignition on and you stand at the engine, you can hear the pump run for a few seconds!
          1995 B4 Audi 80 S2 avant 267bhp and 326lbft *sold*

2001 P38 Range Rover DHSE 159bhp and 255lbft

1985 Type85 Audi 90 quattro 135bhp 140lbft

Comment

Thanks for the help, I have found what seems to be a direct replacement at GSF car parts, it's £65 and is on their website as a "water pump - additional". I'm heading there later to get one and to use the 10% forum discount.

Comment

What's the consequences of running without this? I had the very same problem, and it's been bypassed in the interim. Should I be worried, and get this replaced soon as yeah?

Comment

IIRC other VAG car afterrun pumps fit and they only cost about £70. Can't remeber which one though
                Dark Grey Avant
                RS2 FARB
                Powerflex Front wishbone bushes
                Alloy Subframe Bushes

Comment

In respect of running without the pump, I guess in an extreme case it could harm the turbo.

Perhaps if you always leave the engine running for a while after a thrashing to allow the rest of the cooling system to reduce the heat. I dont know for sure if this would be enough, so please correct me if i'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by CoupeWannabeS2 View Post
                    In respect of running without the pump, I guess in an extreme case it could harm the turbo.

Perhaps if you always leave the engine running for a while after a thrashing to allow the rest of the cooling system to reduce the heat. I dont know for sure if this would be enough, so please correct me if i'm wrong.
                    Originally posted by dm80 View Post
                    What's the consequences of running without this? I had the very same problem, and it's been bypassed in the interim. Should I be worried, and get this replaced soon as yeah?
                    http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/troubl...g/cooling.html

When the engine is shut off, and the engine coolant temperature at the exit of the cylinder head is above 110C, (230F) a secondary electric water pump turns on, which provides circulating coolant through the top coolant line down into the turbo and then into the engine block to ensure any bubbles from the boiling coolant get purged
                    It's there for a reason! get it replaced it cost £65 from GSF or theres a direct Bosch replacement from a washing machine IIRC on an old forum post.
                    Last edited by Jamo; 13 April 2007, 13:36.

Comment

Originally posted by CoupeWannabeS2 View Post
                      Thanks for the help, I have found what seems to be a direct replacement at GSF car parts, it's £65 and is on their website as a "water pump - additional". I'm heading there later to get one and to use the 10% forum discount.
                      Could you tell me the GSF part number I need? Cheers.

Comment

The part number for GSF car parts is 17072.

Comment

Be careful of the one from GSF, the multiplug on the new doesn't match the old.
                          MikeS2 went through this last year.

Jas..
                          2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
                          2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
                          1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

Originally posted by Jas11n View Post
                            Be careful of the one from GSF, the multiplug on the new doesn't match the old.
                            MikeS2 went through this last year.

Jas..
                            I forgot about that Jas, cheers for the head up

Found the old thread http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15740

Pump is also from a T4 transporter alternatively the Bosch part number for pump is 0-392-020-054

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
                              I forgot about that Jas, cheers for the head up

Found the old thread http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15740

Pump is also from a T4 transporter alternatively the Bosch part number for pump is 0-392-020-054
                              Brilliant. What a forum!

Comment

Working...
                              X