heater blower motor almost dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You must have A/C.

On non A/C cars the fan motor just twists out, no screws.

On A/C cars there are screws & as you say the duct is in the way. It should be possible to get that duct out without removing the dash but it isn't something I've done myself.

Ideally, the seal between the motor housing & casing should be airtight so it's a good idea to put some sealer on there before you put the motor back. I used black silicon sealer.

John

Comment

ill be interested to know the outcome of this as my blower motor has had it! only works on speed four now and makes a horrible noise
      3'' Longlife Exhaust, Koni Adjustables, H&R Springs, Full RS2 Setup with Mr Nugents RS2 Chips (just need the RS2 Airbox)

Comment

Yup, speed 4 and horrible noise. Think the bearing in the motor has gone and the resistance to turning has blown the fuse. Had another look this afternoon and I still can't see a way to get at it. Think I might combine this job with fixing the air-con..........
        Paul
        __________________________________________________ ______

RS2 Ragusa Green and a Sunbeam Lotus for the summer weekends.

Comment

Blower Motor Removal

It is possible to remove that top outer screw without removing the dash. I used a screwdriver bit held by a small adjustable wrench to loosen it, then once loose just turned it with my (smallish) fingers. Once all the outer screws are out there are 2 that are more central and release the motor itself from the plastic cover. The motor needs then to be pushed forwards out of the cover before there's room to swing the cover down revealing the motor itself. The motor can then be removed easily through the admittedly tight aperture. I had mine out today and gave it an dose of lubrication. As mentioned above you don't need to buy a new resistor pack. I used Maplin 240 degree C thermal fuses when mine blows (for pennies). I just snipped the old fuse off and found the terminal lugs will accept a small bolt (meccano style) to connect the new fuse with (I can't solder). Seems to work.
          Back to that hard to remove screw - it's worse putting it back again. I usually use blue tack to keep screw and driver bit together until the screw is in the thread. I suppose superglue is another option.

Good luck,
          Nigelm

Comment

thats the way to do it alright!
            Andreas Lundstroem
            A4 STCC Avant -04
            Audi /S/2/ Sedan -94

prev.
            Audi /S/2/ Coupe -91

Comment

Working...
            X