How to remove the Air Con System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove the Air Con System

This is just a few tips if you wish to convert your audi S2 to non air con.

There are a number of advantages to not having an Air Con system in your S2. The engine bay looks tidier and is easier to clean, working around the engine becomes easier, you don’t have to worry about replacing expensive parts of the system when they fail, and of course, there is a considerable amount of weight to be saved. The pump, bracket, condenser, drier and pipes in the engine bay weigh around 15kg.

If you have already removed the part of the Air Con system which lies in the engine bay, you will notice you’re left with the inlet to the evapourator sticking through the bulkhead. If you wish to fully remove the system to further reduce weight and tidy your engine bay area then read ahead.

Behind the dashboard in the centre of the car you have the heater box which houses the heater core, and all the flaps to direct air flow (this unit is practically identical between Air Con and non Air Con cars) attached to the side of this is the Air Con box which houses the evapourator and the fan. This picture shows the 2 halves separated from each other, (heater box is the bit on the right)

So basically you need to take this out! to start off with you're going to have to remove the dash. This source by Paul from S2central.net describes the process better than I could http://s2central.net/S2_How_To/Interior/dashboard.pdf

And remove the entire heater and fan system. This is actually quite easy, disconnect the coolant heater pipes, remove 2 nuts on the engine bay side of the bulk head, and 2 bolts under the pollen filter. Then its just a case of wiggling it out. There are sources online which describe this in better detail.

This presents you with your first problem, the hole in the bulkhead

After a lot of deliberation and speaking to someone who has done this conversion themselves, I decided on what might seem a bodge solution, but ultimately works extremely well, looks factory from inside the bulkhead, isn't at all noticable, cheap and quick to do, and won't leak.

That solution was a piece of decent quality thick black plastic cut slightly larger than the hole, stuck to the inside using tiger seal, and sealed on the outside as well. You would never notice it.

There is also a smaller hole underneath where the water from the evapourator drains off. You can plug this using a simple blanking grommet.

Ultimately you will need to source a non AC car to remove the neccessary parts from, any audi 80 down the scrap yard will do. Remove the whole heater box system and fan housing from the donor car (leave attached the fan, wiring loom section, and resistor)

You will notice the heater controls on an AC car have 3 cables, but the heater controls on a non AC car have 4 cables. The extra cable is to close a flap in the fan box housing so no air can enter the car, it can be seen on the far left of the previous pic.

I would reccomend removing this 4th cable and its mechanism and fitting it to your orignal controls, or use the entire heater box, fan housing and controls from the non AC car. Taking the cables off the heater box is tricky to do and you'll break the clips quite easily.

This is the cam drive for the 4th cable on the fan speed selector.

When you turn the control knob, the last quarter turn is what closes the flap

Change the heater core while your in there. I bought one off the shelf from GSF for £42. The one in my original heater box had started to leak, so this whole job served 2 purposes.

Refit the heater box and fan housing into your car. Test the functionality of everything before you re-fit the dash!

The glovebox in a non Air Con car is larger. If you want to use it, you will need the bracket and catch from the dashboard of the non AC car. The bracket is riveted to the inside of the dashboard so you will need to drill it off and re-rivet it to your dash (the holes are there).

You should also swap the handle and lock mechanism so that your orignal key can lock your new glovebox.

The glovebox light is also different and will need to be swapped. Also if you’re really fussy, the piece of soundproofing between the back of the glovebox and the ECU is different so would need to be swapped if you want to retain it.

The AC and REC buttons are part of a panel which is simply clipped to the side of the heater controls and can be taken off. You will need the facia from the non Air Con car so you’re not left with 2 holes.

You end up with only one plug being left redundant behind the dash, its the large bright red one.

While you’ve got the dash out its worth while to recify any wiring woes which may remain from previous bodges, dodgey alarm systems or stereo installs. I used the oppertunity to fit a boost gauge while the centre console was out as well.

So there you have it. Re-fit the dash and pray you don’t get stuck in traffic in the middle of a heat wave.

Last edited by twenty valve; 15 April 2011, 10:30.

good job, the anti of what I've just done with digital aircon!

Comment

Nice writeup!
      I have removed most of the AC parts from the engine bay. Seem to remember that it came to right under 16kgs, and of course less parasitic drag from not having to spin the compressor pulley. The weight is on front of the front axle, so it helps handling wise. More space as well. I kept all the parts, so I can refit if I should feel the urge to do so.
      1995 RS2 on Alcohol (6.8sec 100-200km/h)
      1994 80E Avant
      1986 2L Golf 2 on Alcohol

Comment

This will be useful as it is the part I need to do now, thanks :thumbs

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
        sigpic

Comment

You may as well do the climate conversion even if you remove the A/C.
          The climate display updates the look of the dash by about 10 years.
          sigpic
          "For what you spent on that you could have brought a new car"
          BUT I DON'T WANT A NEW CAR!

1995 S2 Avant, Volcano Black
          1982 VW Golf Mk1, primer yellow, will be finished one day, maybe.
          2003 VW T4 long nose X pack, (has become project)

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
            This will be useful as it is the part I need to do now, thanks :thumbs
            Give me a call if you get stuck mate

Comment

Just a quickie. Are there performance gains to be had from this delete?

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Rhys View Post
                Just a quickie. Are there performance gains to be had from this delete?
                Yes.
                1995 RS2 on Alcohol (6.8sec 100-200km/h)
                1994 80E Avant
                1986 2L Golf 2 on Alcohol

Comment

minimal
                  sigpic

Comment

depends what you mean by "performance"

a/c only sapps 5% of power when it is engaged i.e compressor loaded up
                    1993 URS4 Avant Emerald Green 350+bhp
                    1991 Ford Sierra Sapphire 4x4 in Magenta
                    BoooOOOSSSSSTTTT BANG BANG CHIRP CHIRP

Comment

also been proved that above 50mph you dont use much more fuel than having 2x front windows open!!
                      1993 URS4 Avant Emerald Green 350+bhp
                      1991 Ford Sierra Sapphire 4x4 in Magenta
                      BoooOOOSSSSSTTTT BANG BANG CHIRP CHIRP

Comment

Thanks for the replies! Ill keep my a/c set up I think.

Sorry to thread hijack op

Comment

Manual and climate on these cars have full throttle inhibit anyway
                          sigpic

Comment

The only performance gain is from the weight reduction
                            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

which is slight
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X