Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alpinweiss laid bare! Dashless content warning! AC removal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it would be different due to how the interior would have to be layed out.. as well as parts of the engine bay and wiring to and from the interior cabin to the engine bay..but don't quote me on that one
    1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Originally posted by benntenn67 View Post
      Odd question time - are LHD & RHD shells the same ?
      No. Some of the components of the shells were the same but others, i.e. the fire wall, (aka "cross panel") and the water box (cowl well), had different PNs LHD and RHD.

This does not explain why the RHD Engine to ECU harness comes from the right side to go to the left side.

But it does.
      RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
      94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
        No. Some of the components of the shells were the same but others, i.e. the fire wall, (aka "cross panel") and the water box (cowl well), had different PNs LHD and RHD.

This does not explain why the RHD Engine to ECU harness comes from the right side to go to the left side.

But it does.
        Thanks - You never know, it might come up in a pub quiz
        Audi S2 Coupe 1995
        VW Passat GL5 (hatch) 1986
        VW Passat GL 1.8 (saloon) 1986
        Carrera Subway 8

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post

But it does.
          On the RHD The engine harness comes through the firewall/bulkhead on the left, where the ECU is mounted then the rest of the loom travels across the the right side where the fuse board, aux relay panel and general spaghetti of wiring looms terminate

The firewall and scuttle panel pressings I would bet are the same. The RHD and LHD have different holes punched out of them and have different parts numbers as you confirmed, but it would not be hard to convert form RHD to LHD or viceversa you would just need to cut the right holes in the firewall, patch over some holes etc and add some weld pins. The LHD and RHD fuseboard and airbox intake might even be interchangeable in the scuttle panel. It would make sense to manufacture the shell that way

Some other items such as the outboard rack mounting bracket, dash cross bar, steering column mountings are also different LHD to RHD.
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
            On the RHD The engine harness comes through the firewall/bulkhead on the left, where the ECU is mounted then the rest of the loom travels across the the right side where the fuse board, aux relay panel and general spaghetti of wiring looms terminate.
            Okay. *That* makes sense. I was confused by the photo, thinking the harness came from the RH side and went to the left. But the branch of the harness (in the yellow cloth tape) that is laying above the transmission hump must, as you say, be heading *TO* the under steering wheel relay panel, etc. Thanks for the correction.

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
            94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Im reading true this old thread. Having difficulties with my AC system with digital panel. Im not using the AC and its out of the car. I want to go manual. What did you do regarding the wiring of this swap ?

Thanks in advance

Comment

No digital climate available on UK cars so afraid I cant help.

Maybe get a manual heater box, loom and dials and just make it work? Any similar lesser spec car should do.
                Cheers'en, AndyC
                1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Thanks for the respond. I will try to fit a manual heater. Can i take the parts from a Audi 80 v6 cab or something?

Comment

Not sure, maybe check parts catalogue? Should work, or couod be made to work.
                    Cheers'en, AndyC
                    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Don't go manual
                      If you remove the engine side of the AC system only, then the climate will work just fine, except you won't be able to go colder than ambient temperature
                      If you want to fit the manual heater system, then you need to replace the heater box with a manual one to have the cable controls.
                      Indigo ABY coupé
                      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

You can find all the 3B & ABY wiring schematics on S2Central

Go to Technical Data, Electrical Systems, S2 Current Flow Diagrams

http://www.s2central.com/main_frame.html

Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Can I just swap the heater box with wires and manual panel or do i have to change the blower too?

Comment

So AFAIK there are 4 types of LHD heater box

1. Manual cable operated non-AC
                            2. Manual cable operated AC
                            3. Analogue climate vacuum operated
                            4. Digital climate electric motor operated

Which one do you want to fit?
                            Whether you have AC or not, digital climate panel and box is the way to go in my opinion.
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I ordered a complete set for Manual heating. Going old school and keeping it clean and simple.

Comment

Working...
                              X