Boost leaks fixed/Mark H mod...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boost leaks fixed/Mark H mod...

Spent the best part of 6 hours today with Newsh re-plumbing the air intake hoses with the Samcos, including the now legendary MarkH intercooler mod.

A small comment - why does the Samco intake kit not also include new hoses for the Wastegate Frequency Valve? Fortunately we had some spare 8mm knocking about, so swapped those...

The infamous intercooler O-ring - it was totally shot. What a feeble piece of manky worm-like rubber that was! Anyway, we got the MarkH mod on there good and proper, see the attached.

Cut down the MAF hose to make that fit and all was well there.

The verdict? Good lord what a difference
    I don't know how much boost I have been losing through the various small leaks through all the various very jaded rubber hoses, but the difference now is almost like the difference between before and after chipping it.

More bottom end, quicker turbo spool-up and signficantly more boost all the way to the red line

So, thank you Newsh for helping out again, thank you Mark for inventing the MarkH mod, and thank you Paul for getting the Samcos tooled up.
    Attached Files
    Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Looks like i need to get mine fitted ASAP. Could well be my problem to. How long does it take to fit the Mark H mod
    3'' Longlife Exhaust, Koni Adjustables, H&R Springs, Full RS2 Setup with Mr Nugents RS2 Chips (just need the RS2 Airbox)

Comment

as long as it takes to remove the bumper - could be 20mins, could be 4 hours depends how easy yours is to get off and to get the i/c out to remove the o-ring and then just slide the hose on...

I really need to do this too but i have replaced the o-ring in the last couple of years and the boost guage shows all ok so....
      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

whats the o-ring then? what does the o-ring do?
        3'' Longlife Exhaust, Koni Adjustables, H&R Springs, Full RS2 Setup with Mr Nugents RS2 Chips (just need the RS2 Airbox)

Comment

goes between the exit port of the I/C and the metal pipe which runs behind the front crossmember and the one which runs up to the rocker cover. The ring is identical to that which seals the thermostat and sits in a milled groove in the end of the i/c pipe.

At best it gives an adequate seal but more often than not its broken or even missing which means you lose a shed load of air. The mod above makes a more effective seal on this joint.
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by dan_b
            A small comment - why does the Samco intake kit not also include new hoses for the Wastegate Frequency Valve? Fortunately we had some spare 8mm knocking about, so swapped those...
            There's no pleasing some people!

Because it would add extra price to the kit and it's an off the the shelf item easily bought from any go-faster stockist.

The hose is best off bought from SFS or an SFS stockist such as Demon Tweeks (not that i'm recommending them!)

Comment

Fair point, but it seemed to me that as it was a complete "boost kit" it should contain all the hoses for the job, and if you need to go and buy that replacement hose from somewhere else, that would probably end up more expensive? Never mind, managed to get round it!

Comment

Yeah, it would be nice to get the small hose that goes from the WGFV to the face of the turbo, its a shaped one and its hard to get the straight hose to do a tidy job.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dan_b
                  Fair point, but it seemed to me that as it was a complete "boost kit" it should contain all the hoses for the job, and if you need to go and buy that replacement hose from somewhere else, that would probably end up more expensive? Never mind, managed to get round it!
                  It's a boost intake replace host kit, The WGFV hose is not part of that system

Comment

Ok in which case the kit should therefore also include the MarkH mod as I bet every single one of the non-modified cars running now has a busted o-ring...

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo
                      It's a boost intake replace host kit, The WGFV hose is not part of that system
                      You're saying the WGFV is not part of the boost system?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                      sigpic

Comment

Indeed!

Comment

What diameter hose should one buy for the intercooler mod? Im loosing a shitload of air that way. Tried several ways of fixing but none of em have worked ok.

Comment

All covered in my thread asking the same topic: http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...ight=markh+mod

In summary though you need a 70mm-60mm silicone reducing pipe. The part that is supplied is far too long so you have to cut it down to fit. The excellent people at VAGParts sell it if you can buy online.

I would recommend getting a really good set of jubilee clips to hold it all together.

Comment

Ahh excellent. Will give this one a try until i change IC and intake.

Comment

Working...
                              X