Broken Exhaust Mnaifold Stud Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Exhaust Mnaifold Stud Removal

I broke an exhaust manifold stut tonight - the one right at the front - the lower one. It has about 8mm of the stud sticking out. I could not grip it with molegrips - it just slid

How do I remove this?

I was thinking of welding a nut on the stud - I think it might just break the stud closer to the head though

I should have removed the studs before putting the head in the machine shop for work - Doh.

HELP
    Last edited by Doug_RS2; 21 January 2004, 22:34.
    S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Doug, I've got a set of stud extractors here you are more than welcome to try. The hard you turn them, the tighter it grips the stud. They don't rely on having thread left to screw onto, so no problem is the thread is ******ed. 8mm of thread left isn;t a lot, but you are more than welcome to try the tool if you'd like?

Martyn
    Martyn
    -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

I'll snap a picture of the tool if you want to see it?
      Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

welding nuts on usualy works well the heat helps to free it

Comment

Oh Poop!

I have a set of stud removers, they are like a long tubular socket, 1/2" drive but inside they have a set of pins on ramps. As you rotate the tool the pins roll up the ramps and grip the stud, I'm not sure but I think they might get a grip on 8mm of left over stud.. You need to use a T bar though so the torque is even. Welding a nut on is not such a bad idea, at least you would get a lot of heat into the situation which is the best thing for releasing seized fasteners, along with copious amounts of Plusgas. I'd be worried that it will snap off at the weld though as you say..

All else failing you'll have to drill it out and reclaim the thread. Or helicoil it

What I'd try first. Heat it up and quench with plusgas, watch it or you'll lose your eyebrows Let it soak for a while, give it a few sharp blows on the end with a hammer, try it, heat it, soak and bang it, patience is the key,

Hitting on the end with the hammer can often be the thing that shocks the corrosion into giving up.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Martynf
            I'll snap a picture of the tool if you want to see it?
            Snap a picture since I don't have a clue what they look like - I have stud extractors but they have to have a hole drilled down the centre.

Think I will weld a nut on tomorrow - see if that works - still might break the stud though - and they have a locking compound on them, so as Marty says, the heat might help that as well.

Comment

They are exactly how Newsh described them, pins internal on ramps. Piccie coming up...
              Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

here you go. I reckon they need a minimum of 3mm to work, so you should get 5mm of 'grip' on the stud.
                Attached Files
                Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

There are different types I think check out these:

http://www.justoffbase-tools.co.uk/t...=2I1096P1243M0

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.c...photo/9160.jpg
                  Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

Originally posted by marty
                    welding nuts on usualy works well the heat helps to free it
                    Yes, but the welded nut and stud has to be let cool down well before trying to open it!
                    -

Comment

Doug,

You can borrow stud extractors locally if you need them.

Drilling a hole in the end sounds like Eezi-outs. Be very careful using them. Since they are made of glass, they cannot be drilled out if they break.

Cheers,
                      Mike
                      Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

Doug,

I had exactly the same thing happen with that stud on my engine before now.

Problem with using a stud extractor there is access, or lack of to be able to get a decent purchase on it without twisting it in the wrong direction.

The solution in the end was to use some mole grips like you have been trying and alot of perserverance. I tried for a fair while as did a couple of other mechanics. My dad came out and had a go and the stud was out in 2 minutes! so i think there must be a knack to it also.

Greg
                        Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Greg - My head is off the car - so I can get good access. The mole grips just would not grip no matter how tight I got it on.

Mike - cheers for the offer

Martyn - thanks for the pic - never seen one of them before.

I am getting a nut welded on tonight (and I will leave it to cool down!)

Comment

You still working on that old nail!!! LOL. Thought it would be done by now! If only i lived closer i would let you use one of my stud removers.

Good luck m8
                            sigpic
                            Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                            Audi UR Quattro
                            Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                            Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                            Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Originally posted by Doug_RS2
                              Greg - My head is off the car - so I can get good access. The mole grips just would not grip no matter how tight I got it on.
                              Doh, complete forgot you have the head off the car now ops:
                              Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Working...
                              X