No announcement yet.

Cat Removal /MoT Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i know a few friendly mot men i have just my other car a toyota starlet sr pass and that has no cat or middle box just a back box loud as fook !!!!!
    all they do is just probe another car and that is how it passs hope this helps a few people out less hassle than removing them every 12 months all it will you is a tenner usually and most mechanics will be hapy to oblige
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
      Removing cats from a post 1992 car invalidates your insurance if you have a crash and the car is inspected.

Disagree.
      As ive said before - cats are not a legal fitment on a vehicle after 1992.
      They have to pass a more stringent test that on most cars neccesitates a catalytic converter to pass, some do not.
      How can they prove that your car is not road legal if it doesnt have a cat fitted? - Simple answer is they cannot unless they can prove on the spot that it would fail an emissions test and there are plenty of vehicles that pass the 'cat test' without converters.
      'If you ain't broke it you ain't trying hard enough'

Oh sh*t i broke it

94 S2 Homefried Decatted Slipperwagon,QRS Top Mounts,Ally Subframe bushes,Poly ARB & Wishbone bushes,RS2 ARB's,Koni & H&R's,Cupra Brembo's and 312mm discs

Comment

Originally posted by blown_vr6 View Post
        Disagree.
        They have to pass a more stringent test that on most cars neccesitates a catalytic converter to pass, some do not.
        How can they prove that your car is not road legal if it doesnt have a cat fitted? - Simple answer is they cannot unless they can prove on the spot that it would fail an emissions test and there are plenty of vehicles that pass the 'cat test' without converters.
        Also true.

I think we are getting into semantics here and what if? Maybe? etc....

Do whatever you feel comfortable doing I guess

Cheers,

Steve.
        The Perfectionist
        sigpic
        Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by blown_vr6 View Post
          Disagree.
          It's not the fact it hasn't got cats post 1992 the S2 doesn't pass emissions without cats fact.

Any rozzer can pull you over and order your car for a spot emissions which it will fail and hello big trouble.

End of the day insurance companies are looking for an excuse and removing the cats is a illegal mod in 99% eyes especially undeclared.

But hey you continue mate

I have a mate whos a traffic cop and the other who works for VOSA, Hey Andy_Casey you can testify to the fact my mates a rozzer when you came to brum

Comment

If your car fails an emissions check its not 'big trouble' - merely a 7 day wonder to get it rectified.
            My dad was in the old bill for 15 years - does that count?
            Also ive got a mate who's an MOT inspector if were scoring points here .
            The day an insurance co. doesnt pay out due to a car not having a cat fitted will be the day insurance companies cease to insure modified vehicles.
            Where do you draw the line?
            Yes the car is different to manufacturers specifications but then does that mean we should all fit the manufacturers recommended tyres,brake pads and exhaust systems for fear of reprisals from fitting a non standard part??.
            Dont think so......

Pete.
            'If you ain't broke it you ain't trying hard enough'

Oh sh*t i broke it

94 S2 Homefried Decatted Slipperwagon,QRS Top Mounts,Ally Subframe bushes,Poly ARB & Wishbone bushes,RS2 ARB's,Koni & H&R's,Cupra Brembo's and 312mm discs

Comment

Well heres a nice surprise from my MOT today. This is Northern Ireland now - different format than rest of UK. On arrival, the tester enters the vehicle reg and the 1st thing he does is hook up the exhaust probe... He had done do before I even spoke to him.

Based on reg number, the computer decides what the test specifications are. I was not asked to provide a fast idle test - always a good sign

At idle I got 0.03% CO and 46ppm HC - not too shabby for a 14yr old car on its original exhaust and CATs.

The test threshold is however only 3.5% CO and 1200ppm HC - which would be easily achieved with CATs removed. Brill... The tester reckoned the regulations on tests might get tighter in the next year or two but he assured me that a car of my age gets tested this way and will continue to do so. Whoohoo

Just one more reason not to live in Blair's bonkers Britain (heheh) - tis a historic day in NornIron today with news of our own government finally looking like its gonna do something sensible (or at least try to for another wee while) so lets hope they don't go messing with this particular part of vehicle emissions legislation when they get into power. Methinks they are more pressing issues to be solved !!!

Paul
              Paul Nugent
              Webmaster http://S2central.net
              Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
              2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
              2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

I second that on both counts.

BTW my car came up 0.06% and 12 ppm on original 15 yr old cats (rattly when warm) and exhaust.

Makes me wonder if i couldve passed decatted or not with my early ABY. Starting to get annoyed with the rattle so not sure what to do.

'To de cat or not to de cat, that is the question'
                William Shakespear 1618 AD

lol

Brian

Comment

Do the De cat Brian, the engine feels more willing and has a litle extra pop burble and bang, even on the standard exhaust....

Cheers,

Steve.
                  The Perfectionist
                  sigpic
                  Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianSmith_S2 View Post
                    I second that on both counts.

BTW my car came up 0.06% and 12 ppm on original 15 yr old cats (rattly when warm) and exhaust.

Makes me wonder if i couldve passed decatted or not with my early ABY. Starting to get annoyed with the rattle so not sure what to do.

'To de cat or not to de cat, that is the question'
                    William Shakespear 1618 AD

lol

Brian
                    Go for the decat and get your MOTs done in the old country !

Paul
                    Paul Nugent
                    Webmaster http://S2central.net
                    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

i'm going to try and get mine through with bypass pipes later this year or at least see if i can find a friendly tester to run it through proper test conditions with decat and see what it reads....
                      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post
                        Do the De cat Brian, the engine feels more willing and has a litle extra pop burble and bang, even on the standard exhaust....

Cheers,

Steve.

Im very tempted to do this asap as i have just got my MOT and the rattle from the exhaust region is getting worse at idle .

Will investigate the cats this weekend. i suppose if i give them a tap the tell tell rattle will tell me its them breaking up inside?

BTW what method of decat would you recommend cos ive heard of people removing the insides of their cats but keeping the outer shell. Is this easy, any posts on here to help me out, or would i be better of with two new ABY de-cat pipes?

If so where from/or is there any cheap ones going on the forum?

Brian

Comment

Hi Brian,

I don't know where to get them from, all I know is mine were made by "Cheesman Fabrications" about 10 years ago and are simply stainless steel tubes with the requisite flanges and brackets to hang off the gearbox mounts welded to them....

Cheers,

Steve
                          The Perfectionist
                          sigpic

Comment

mmmm...... no CAT on ABY engines oh no i'm in touble when it comes to MOT time i'll let you know in August.

Back to the point about PC Plod stopping you and doing his multi million point check on your car the last thing i would be worrying about would be having a CAT on or not, i'd be worried about the court appearence

Comment

Working...
                            X