Any tips on removing/replaceong the water cooled manifold ABY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips on removing/replaceong the water cooled manifold ABY

Just to add to the problems while upgrading to RS2 spec I see the water level has dropped. On closer inspection it looks like the water cooled manifold is leaking.

Any tips or advise when removing and replacing will be welcome. Going to replace the MFTS when doing the job.

I assume the water manifold will come off without removing the inlet manifold.

Its a fiddle in situ, but since you will need to drain the coolant anyway, remove the rad which will make access dead easy. Just undo the banjo fitting, undo the M6 socket caps and pull it off.
    Its likely the turbo coolant return hose that is leaking.

HTH
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Another load of coolant down the drain

Will be replacing all the pipes in that area.

Thanks
      Last edited by orsum; 2 December 2017, 18:21.

Comment

Here are a few post that might help you:

Intake manifold related (exposes a lot of otherwise difficult to get at things): http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/266127.phtml

Under intake hoses and leak sources: http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/325087.phtml

Turbo coolant hose replacement: http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/347385.phtml

Water manifolds: http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/301767.phtml

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
        94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Thanks all great info.

I may end up taking the inlet manifold off just not sure if I should. The only reason I would is to replace the injector inserts as a precaution.

The ones on the car are the originals and they looked in a good condition when I changed the injectors.

Comment

The leak appears to be coming from the triangular section of the manifold. The turbo return line is not leaking but I will replace it.

Still not sure which option to take, radiator off or take the inlet manifold off, the latter looks like it has its benefits. Or both

Firstly it looks like a simple job to remove the inlet manifold and once done the water manifold appears to have no problems with accessing all the bolts and I can give the rest of the area a good clean and replace other parts.

Secondly I can replace the injector inserts. Although they appear good not leaking I have a new set ready for the day I need them.

With all the knowledge on the forum what do you guys think is the right way to go.

Comment

I would take off the IM.

You can then see exactly what your doing

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
              sigpic

Comment

Comment

Ideally you’re going to need one of those really long Allen keys for the IM, although I have done it with a 1/4 socket set..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                  sigpic

Comment

I will buy or make the tool I need. 200mm long stem, 13mm drive 6mm allen key.
                    Last edited by orsum; 3 December 2017, 11:40.

Comment

Always do it with im of it will make life a lot easier to access hard to reach areas btdt and once wm is removed replace all o rings make sure when installing it back on you align wm holes up correct and give wm a wiggle as brute force could pinch o ring and well it will leak again all best michael

Comment

My son just make the mistake while replacing the vac pump on his A4 two mountings cracked, he ended up replacing the vac pump.

Thanks

Comment

Does anybody have the torque settings for the inlet manifold Allen cap bolts and the water cooled manifold Allen cap bolts.

Thanks

Comment

Everything off and it was the O rings that were leaking.

Quite an easy job,

Just waiting for the new MFTS to arrive and I will put it back on.

All the hose were ok but decided to replace them as a precaution.

Comment

Where did you get the mfts? And what did it set you back if you don't mind me asking?
                              F I R E U P T H E Q U A T T R O

1996 S2 coupe aqua green sold
                              1990 MK2 Golf gti 16v oak green sold

Comment

Working...
                              X