No announcement yet.

Any tips on removing/replaceong the water cooled manifold ABY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Local Audi agent in South Africa R2314.20 Incl vat. In UK pounds about 126.60. They are also getting the connector for me. Mine fell to bits when taking it off.

Does anybody have the torque settings for the inlet manifold Allen cap bolts and the water cooled manifold Allen cap bolts.

Thanks
    Last edited by orsum; 11 December 2017, 09:15.

Comment

Part number 034121071S number 6 in the picture how is it secured.

Looking at mine the weekend there is a gap between the engine and bell housing it looks like its just jammed in I could not get it out. The pipe was strapped up so it could not move. Once I cut the cable strap it was loose. I could not get what looks like the securing leg out from between the engine and housing.

It looks wrong to me.

Can anybody advise how it should be secured. (ABY ENGINE)

Comment

Originally posted by orsum View Post
        Does anybody have the torque settings for the inlet manifold Allen cap bolts and the water cooled manifold Allen cap bolts.

Thanks
        inlet manifold allen caps- 25nm
        watermanifold allen caps - 10nm
        5 Cylinder Freak

Comment

if is understand correct, the mounting bracket off piece 6 is jammed between the engine and gearbox ? if so i think in the past someone removed the gearbox but did not properly mounted peice 6. it supposed that a bolt from the gearbox goes trough the mouting bracket on piece 6 and then trough the gearbox
          5 Cylinder Freak

Comment

I bought one of these recently, and actually appears to work, which is a bit of a miracle:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-OE...72.m2749.l2649

It took a while to arrive from here, but Mahle as a brand I would recommend for sure.

Comment

The bracket on the water pipe mounts to the bell housing bolt
              Here’s a pic I just took of mine.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
              sigpic

Comment

That's what I thought it should be like.

Don't think I have any option but to strap it back up.

Not with plastic but rather a 13mm stainless steel cable strap or two. Would not like to think what would happen if it came loose.

Thanks newsh for the picture and hermanio for the torque settings.

Comment

If it’s moving around and you have a replacement, can you not pull upwards and wiggle to unhook the bracket from the slot in the bell housing?
                  The metal is not that thick so should straighten out easily enough.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Waiting for Audi Tradition to get back to me. Purchased a sensor bracket and they double delivered. need to send that back and order the pipe and several other bits. So I dont have a spare just yet.

Bit worried that I break the bracket and it drops inside the clutch bell housing.

Comment

Understood

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Some parts arrived yesterday. The MFTS was one of them. Expensive little ******.

I took my very nice Fluke multi meter and took an ohm reading on all the pins of the MFTS.

two pins to the body of the sensor were open circuit. The old and new sensors were the same.

The remaining connection on both sensors gave readings but the were different.

The old one at room temperature was 24k ohms.

The new one was 980 ohms.

They are both the same part number and the new one was purchased from Audi so I am assuming the new one to be correct.

The thermostat was replace recently and the temperature indicator did go up and stayed constant about one mark below 90 deg cel I am hoping this new sensor will correct that error.

Finally I can start putting everything back together.

The gold connectors are very expensive R280 each (16.3 UK Pounds)

Should have the car back together this weekend. If I stay off the whiskey.

Comment

Car back together again no more water leaks and the temperature of the car is spot on 90, the MFTS was faulty.

Now back to the boost issue.

Comment

Oh, as an update I posted in my own thread, the Mahle MFTS doesn't read right now!

Been advised to try an JP brand one, will report back here when it arrives and is tested.

Comment

I purchased mine from Audi in South Africa. It was the same part number as the one I took off. Expensive for a temperature sensor.

I also checked the temperature being sent to the ECU, both the ECU and the temperature gauge are now reading the same.

Another fault fixed.

Comment

Working...
                              X