Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a cylinder head flow more than the exhaust can handle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks all!
    I'm going to reinstate it just because it ought to be there if Audi put it there. I'll try a light bit of compressed air back down the breather line to see if it is clear. It should be as I've done the pipes front to back a few years ago with new cupronickel pipe.
    As for measuring injector pulses, that's outside of my toolkit I'm afraid, that will have to wait till my return visit to the tuner.

Roll on the weekend!

Comment

Or open the filler cap a little bit

Comment

Minor update.

Today I spent some time replacing the fuel pump, adding a relay, changing the air filter and reinstating the carbon canister pipe work.

It took ALL day partly in due to it being a case of having to remove quite a lot of interior to get to the pump and then running the thick wire front to back but it is done including the short loom from pump to back of the plastic cap which closes off the tank opening. It didn't seem right to run a 40amp cable and then have it terminating in what looks like 7amp stuff!

I ran out of daylight to rebuild the interior so haven't been for a drive yet but, I did do a before and after measurement.

Orignal wiring and 9 year old pump pushed 1250ml of fuel out of the return line from pressure regulator in 30 seconds. With the new pump and relay, this went up to 1300ml in 30 seconds. This has to be a good sign

I would have liked to see what effect the wiring would have had on the old pump but time was against me.

It is true that that this figure is without the engine running so the pump is only getting 12v and the engine is not under load using fuel but the signs are; if the issue was lack of fuel - the work is going in the right direction.

Comment

Another minor update. (you can tell the sun is out!)

Tuning place suggested that the engine didn't seem to be breathing well and said it would be worth looking inside the silencers to see if they were blocked some how. Today my Aldi inspection probe camera proved its worth and found a very obvious restriction in the back box. For what is a very cheap tool, it has proved to be great and I'd recommend it to anyone. It's not the smallest of camera heads but it was small enough.

The offset pipe on the back box meant there had to be some sort of expansion chamber between them. I was right but surprised to see the pipework in from the tail piece was closed off with a perforated wall.

The second pic shows how far in the probe got before it hit the blockage.

I can only think this is to slow down flow and add 'silencing' by keeping the noise surrounded by wadding for longer.

I'm now on the hunt for a fabricator who will make me an actual straight through back box...

Tony Banks made this one, its pretty good quality it the design of this one's internals let's it down.
          Attached Files

Comment

Where abouts in uk are you as I would recommend top gear performance in Doncaster they do custom exausts I’ve had all my cars done there

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I'm near Leicester so it's not too far to go, prob not as far as Tony Banks in Leeds was when I went there. I will give them a call. I am also inclined to give Tony banks a call as well as his website states, 'no Chambers, no baffles' etc. Maybe things have changed in the last 4 years...

Comment

My friend from Leeds had his dp from tony banks it wasn’t very good workmanship the wastegate return pipe was restricted and it patruded into dp Exaust flow the bends was wrong and very poor welds

Comment

Hmmmm. Both places use powerflow parts so you would expect them to fit together the same, clearly this isn't the case and depends heavily on the care of the fabricator.

Watch this space...
                  ​​

Comment

If your exhaust is s/s and you had it made by this fella, hasn't it got a life time warranty ? I think some do if your the person who had it fitted. Maybe you should remove the back box and run it up the road first to confirm your suspicions before you make any phone calls. Just a thought, save any egg on any faces. I think your too far away to come down to Wokingham coz we have a exhaust man in house. I hope you get it sorted Steve good luck kind regards Lynn

Comment

I've got no problems travelling for decent quality work! ​​​​​​

I did actually phone Tony Banks the other day to discuss and send them the photos. After a couple of calls, one of which they put the phone down on me because they were busy, I eventually got to speak to someone. I am a little dissapointed with the attitude I'm afraid, it started off badly when the guy clearly didn't believe me when I said my 1990 car had gone for remapping. After an explanation of the process of emulating the eprom and flashing to ecu etc, I think he realised I know more about my car than he did and started listening.

He said the words 'we will change the back box for you' and said they would send some info on email. That has yet to turn up so I'm not that inclined to take the car back to them, if they are not interested enough in sending an email, how interested are they in welding up a decent product which they will make no money on?

Comment

I would stay away from then .I would imagine that if they did the job for you and you would be not happy with the end result it would be a difficult to get it resolved if they have got attitude like this .

Comment

Have you thought about increasing the air flow on the intake side? The 7A maf sensor has choked down center through the maf. There is a later a6 maf that can be used instead, that is the same diameter all the way through. This would increase the air flow in the inlet.
                          Unfortunately, I never did this mod to my 7A before I replaced the motor. There are some write ups on Motorgeek.

Greg W.
                          They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

Yes, I did try that a while ago and went back to standard. I suspect the lack of results then was due to fuelling not being right... I am tempted to reinstate it before the mapping is looked at again as there would be no better time to get it working. The other benefit is that the v6 maf is still available new should the need arise.
                            The difference in size is crazy!
                            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Out of interest, how much torque / power did that car make? I'm curious why the tuner thinks the car isn't breathing correctly?
                              Those exhaust baffles are perfectly normal and you will find them in almost every OEM back box - they are there to break the exhaust pulses in turn dropping the dB.
                              If I was you and keen to stretch the 7A, i'd bin the Hitachi system and go standalone, allowing you to bin the MAF and save up for some throttle bodies.
                              I think 250hp is doable with a good head and some more revs.
                              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                              Indigo ABY coupé
                              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

There are a lot of valuable info about increase power of 7A engine...Check this out http://www.20v-sauger-tuning.de/
                                Audi Coupe Quattro 2.3 20V

Comment

Working...
                                X