I NEED HELP! Need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I NEED HELP! Need advice

To make a long story kinda short, im going to school right now to be a tech, and we have a auto club at the school. Someone 4 years ago donated a 1990 Audi coupe quattro and its been at school ever since. The past students installed a 034 stage 2 turbo kit along with bigger injectors and forged pistons. They could never get the car to start after that and its sat in a heated shop for 4 years and no one could figure it out. I came along and after many hours, got it to start for the very first time.

The car still needs a few things done to make is safe to drive. One of the bigger issues right now is the intake manifold. Right now its set up to not have an intercooler which is not going to work very well at all. The stock intake manifold is still on the car. The problem is the in the inlet hole would be very far away from where the ntercooler would be so any air the intercooler would cool would be hot by the time it got to the inlet.

Ive seen the S2/RS2 intake manifolds being modded to the a reverse inlet. I cant find any for sale and if i did they would be around $1000us. Since this is a schools car i have to use the schools money. Im able to get more if i get approved for more monday. But it would be nice if it was not super expensive. The school has the equipment to possibly custom weld our own intake manifold but i would need some measurements to get it all right. Plus after school most days i have to go to work and theres not a ton of hours i can put into the car. Mondays and Tuesdays I dont work and those are the only days i got or over my lunch hour.

Anyway enough of that. Can anyone help me out? This is one of my dream cars and i hope to own it one day. I really want to hear this thing roar down the road! Thanks for reading!

Caleb

P.S. the picture was taken while i was replacing the radiator
    Attached Files

If I remember correctly, the aan intake manifold will bolt to the 7A head. That would be a good starting point, as it would at least put you on the correct side of the engine bay. Try asking on motorgeek.com and theprojectpad.com lots of guys there have done similar setups at one point or another.

Comment

Originally posted by De80q
      If I remember correctly, the aan intake manifold will bolt to the 7A head. That would be a good starting point, as it would at least put you on the correct side of the engine bay. Try asking on motorgeek.com and theprojectpad.com lots of guys there have done similar setups at one point or another.
      Ok thanks for the reply. I will make an account on both of those and post the same thing on there

If anyone else has some input please let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AUDI-urS4-u...QAAOSwRQFbqPmy

This is a honorable seller.
        //-\\ ((_)) //)) //

Comment

Originally posted by ThatGUY View Post
          May be an honorable seller, but you can get one much cheaper on the forums.

Comment

AAN intake is the cheapest way to go, and not a bad way indeed, if you are not after air conditioning in this car.

At my place used bare AAN intake manifold costs 20 USD if you know where to search. But of course some extra cash and efforts for plumbing and custom work are to be considered.

... I wish we had such schools.

Comment

Originally posted by De80q View Post

May be an honorable seller, but you can get one much cheaper on the forums.
              There are always great deals out there. However you will need to be aggressive in your search; looking every day. Good deals sell fast! How long are you willing to look and what is available at the time? These old Audi parts are becoming rare (especially in the USA); and the prices are climbing as a result.

I provided a solution with what was available with a quick search. As mentioned before the S2/RS2 IM's are much more expensive; especially in the USA. I typically see the IM sold with the engine around here.

Maybe someone can help from another country. Especially if an AAN intake manifold is only $20.

Here was a 3B IM https://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic....4&t=217779....that sold for $360 and in one day... It would be very difficult to find one for less in the USA and parts like that typically sell super fast.

Possible options:
              https://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic....4&t=217449
              https://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic....4&t=217807

Also using an AAN intake manifold in the B-chassis interferes with the radiator. Some choose to angle the radiator in the car and others use aftermarket radiators. Additional costs that must be considered.
              Last edited by ThatGUY; 23 September 2019, 00:43.
              //-\\ ((_)) //)) //

Comment

Thanks guys for all the replies! This is awesome that this forum is still very active even though the car is old.

The one problem I’m having is that if I get a intake manifold then I need a different throttle body and I have to figure out all the hoses and such. I also wonder if it would run the same? Cause the pcm has a 034 stage 2 chip in it. Yesterday me and the car club at school got some intercooler pipe and we were trying to mock up how it’s going to go. It would be really nice to use the stock intake manifold since the turbo kit and tune are made for it.

So here’s how it looks. We are running it from the turbo, into the drivers side of the intercooler, then the air passes through the intercooler to the passenger side up to the intake. Our biggest problem right now is fitting all the pipe by the ac compressor.
                (Keep in mind the car is left hand drive)

We need more 90 degree pipes and rubber couplers.

The intercooler we have is just way to thick. My instructor really wants to put the stock bumper on without cutting it. But with this intercooler it’s not happening. I’d hate to cut the bumper since they are so rare here in the states. But we might have too.

Gotta fix the fuel leak and oil leaks still. Get exhaust hooked up and make sure it doesn’t overheat. We deleted the secondary radiator since they aren’t available anymore. The one that was in the car is trashed. And we replaced the old stock radiator with a Nissans one. So hopefully we don’t have any issues but I’m not sure yet.

Comment

Is that a wagner tuning intercooler?

I have seen people mount the intercooler infront of the rad before.

Comment

Originally posted by david1980
                    Is that a wagner tuning intercooler?

I have seen people mount the intercooler infront of the rad before.
                    When I go back to school on Monday I’ll check.

We still have the ac condenser in front of the radiator so I’m not sure if there is enough room. I will check though cause that’s a good idea.

Comment

Looking at the logo on the front left thats a Wagner tuning intercooler - I think they was quite expensive last time I saw one for sale, in American dollars probably $7-800ish.

Because that car won't be running major boost you could look into either a ur quattro intercooler that would sit down the passenger side in front of the turbo but probably a pita to get to fit. I doubt there is space behind the grill to fit one unless it was custom. Even with the AC rad in front of the radiator you will still have space there for an intercooler.

Edit - just re-read and see it had forged pistons, I hope they uprated the rods as well. At least it will handle more boost than a stock 7a bottom end.

Something along the lines of this what you can get off any passat 1.8t easily. Run the bottom pipe down along the back of the bumper and the top pipe along behind the grill.

Where abouts in America are you?
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by david1980
                        Looking at the logo on the front left thats a Wagner tuning intercooler - I think they was quite expensive last time I saw one for sale, in American dollars probably $7-800ish.

Because that car won't be running major boost you could look into either a ur quattro intercooler that would sit down the passenger side in front of the turbo but probably a pita to get to fit. I doubt there is space behind the grill to fit one unless it was custom. Even with the AC rad in front of the radiator you will still have space there for an intercooler.

Edit - just re-read and see it had forged pistons, I hope they uprated the rods as well. At least it will handle more boost than a stock 7a bottom end.

Something along the lines of this what you can get off any passat 1.8t easily. Run the bottom pipe down along the back of the bumper and the top pipe along behind the grill.

Where abouts in America are you?
                        I’m in the great state of Minnesota! 10,000 lakes man lol.

Yes my instructor said the intercooler was an expensive one.

I have no clue if the rods were upgraded. I would think they would be. I know the guy who built the engine and I can ask him.

I’ll see if I could possibly sell the intercooler I have now on eBay or something and get a different one that would be smaller and fit better. I just love the black look. Things can always be painted though.

Comment

Just found it. This is the intercooler we have. It’s for a rs2 or a s2. But they have a bigger front bumper right?
                          https://www.wagner-tuning.com/produc...200001012.html

Comment

It's a Wagner EVO1 and could net you some decent $$$ toward the build. I'm sure the Wagner came with a slimmer crossmember (https://www.wagner-tuning.uk/200001014.html). On the S2 you've intercooler pipework that runs inside that bar. This is where you need to find a solution. That intercooler should sit below, not on front of, the crossmember.

Comment

Yes you need the crossmember with the IC return pipe inside it from an S2

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X