Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disconnecting downpipe from hotside of turbo (3b)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disconnecting downpipe from hotside of turbo (3b)

Hey folks, can anyone help?

Trying to prepare to remove the engine and i am unbolting the downpipe and the wastegate flexi.

However, what is the best way to get to and remove the 17mm bolt on the underside of the downpipe flange…the one nearest to the block/manifold? I remember this being a sod before but memory failure has kicked in.

Any tips welcome…thanks!
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

I might be wrong but I seem to remember it is a 10mm thread but the nut head is 15mm.
    I used offset spanner, fitted in ok once the wastegate pipe is removed.
    Had to grind the outer surface of the ring spanner to allow it to squeeze between the nut and the downpipe wall.
    Called S shape spanners on ebay.

image_20438.jpg

Comment

Yeah, you need a 'U' spanner or obstruction spanner to get to it.
      91 Modded 3B
      14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

The standard downpipe nuts are made from something exotic from memory. Very light and strong and they don't corrode.
        91 Modded 3B

Comment

I think i used a thin socket and a few extensionbars on a ratchet... Ended up being almost to the firewall, but it worked.
          Audi 80 Competition -94 Daily driver

www.garaget.org/fish for more pic´s of my cars

Comment

Thanks folks…yep, i bought a set of obstruction spanners but i cant reach that bolt still. I think if the bolt is 15mm then i will go in from behind..ooh err with a ratchet instead as the bolts for the flexi are rounding nicely and i will deal with it once the engine is out.

agree…the bolts are the only ones which havent corroded!
            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
              Thanks folks…yep, i bought a set of obstruction spanners but i cant reach that bolt still. I think if the bolt is 15mm then i will go in from behind..ooh err with a ratchet instead as the bolts for the flexi are rounding nicely and i will deal with it once the engine is out.

agree…the bolts are the only ones which havent corroded!
              Probably Titanium so don't throw them away
              91 Modded 3B

Comment

Hazet and several others have this specially made for turbos. I thin its 15 on one side and 17 on the other I will try and find it now.
                Going to buy one myself We just used a normal spanner or what its called, filed it down a bit and bent it with heat.
                https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...-3b-1991-coupe

Comment

Or something like this

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/33048263849.html

Comment

Interesting, i had no idea they made them specificially…will take a look myself
                    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Hey David,

I have just done this on my S2, give me a call if you want me to (try) and talk you through it and remember what I did. Hard to explain in words. My car is still partially in bits so can look at it while I am talking to you....

Basically, you need the curved swan neck spanner and stubby spanners as a bare minimum and you can "just" do it. (Assuming the 15mm nut turns fairly easily and is not seized!

cheers

Steve
                      The Perfectionist
                      sigpic
                      Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
                        Interesting, i had no idea they made them specificially…will take a look myself
                        Didn't know it either, couldn't find specifically the one I was talking about but when I checked I found one that was "VW/Audi Turbo removal tool" with 2 bends and a socket or something

Comment

Working...
                        X