No announcement yet.

Catch tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Total cost was £40 for the tank, £25 for the pipe. THe AC pipe and clips were free but some copper plumbing pipe could be used to replicate it easily at a small cost, £10 say.
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Looks good Andy

Im still struggling with what it actually replaces and what it connects to mind you....

Also not sure where a 3B owner would stick one, as thats in the way of the battery.

But then, think ive got enough to deal with at the mo anyway
      Audi A4 1.8Tq

VW Passat 1.8T RIP

Comment

I had to have a good poke around behind the engine the other day to find all the pipes and 'ting. Still need to finish off the fuel tank breather as it's just blocked the the mo. Just need to find the pipes in the boot
        Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

James took some good pictures here. I did mine before the days of digital cameras, so I didn't get any.
          BTW, you don't have to spend quite as much on hose as James did.
          SS

Comment

Where did you plumb the pipe from the rocker cover or does it still go down to the crankcase?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
            sigpic

Comment

aby is different and has it all done for you. Nice eh!
              Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Originally posted by madwolf_Uk View Post
                Looks good Andy

Im still struggling with what it actually replaces and what it connects to mind you....

Also not sure where a 3B owner would stick one, as thats in the way of the battery.

But then, think ive got enough to deal with at the mo anyway
                Plenty of room, theres some pictures of my old set up about some where. I welded a bracket on to the strut brace and mounted the tank to that.

Originally posted by 4WheelDrifter View Post
                James took some good pictures here. I did mine before the days of digital cameras, so I didn't get any.
                BTW, you don't have to spend quite as much on hose as James did.
                As the saying goes, if its worth doing then do it properly
                Chef

Comment

Originally posted by terrybullwon View Post
                  As the saying goes, if its worth doing then do it properly
                  Chef's get paid far too much, rumour has it your getting your own show called the S word

Comment

What filter did you use James?
                    Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_Casey View Post
                      What filter did you use James?
                      Some aluminum -8 jobby from www.speedflow.co.uk
                      Chef

Comment

We are now making our own catch cans at 034. Details here: http://www.034motorsport.com/product...ducts_id=17807
                        Jeff Redig - Sales/Tuning Rep, Midwest, USA

Feel free to PM me if I can help with anything 034 related.

Comment

Originally posted by JRedig View Post
                          We are now making our own catch cans at 034. Details here: http://www.034motorsport.com/product...ducts_id=17807
                          Hi Jeff,

What is the advantage of taking the optional breather filter kit with you catch can? Does the catch can work better with such a filter?

Comment

You might but it the fit is nowhere near as neat, the inlet & outlet are the wrong size (they should be 19mm) and the outlet sticking upwards means that you're going to foul the bonnet if you mount it to the strut brace on an ABY, even with a 90deg pipe bend it'll be close. It's a generic solution that might be fine on race cars with plenty of space under the bonnet but on a road car it a tight squeeze. Hence why I went for a custom solution tailored to my car.

For the 3B owners there is the option of adding a second inlet fror the pipe from the head (in the right bore) to eliminate the need for the Newsh style T piece reducer. In terms of mounting, is there space in front of the battery? You could mount it to the battery tray or clamp.
                            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

The breather filter is to vent to atmosphere rather than leave it connected to the inlet so that any rouge vapours get ingested into the engine rather than wafteing into the cabin. Doug and Mark H have done the VtA and I think Mark had to alter his setup as he was getting crank fumes coming through the blower as the filter was next to the blower due to the mounting. On a LHD car there is the brake reservoir to consider so best do a few measurements to check fitting.
                              Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Originally posted by bram View Post
                                Hi Jeff,

What is the advantage of taking the optional breather filter kit with you catch can? Does the catch can work better with such a filter?
                                It doesn't work better necessarily, it's a matter of if you want the crnakcase fumes to get pulled back into the intake tract or not. If vented to atmosphere, you would probably smell the fumes when idling or in traffic. On the setups i've done, I do a combination of a vacuum line pre-turbo and a vent filter. Seems to keep the fumes out of the cabin and still allow the moisture to evaporate.

It's relative to the car though, the higher the output, the more elaborate the system needs to be due to higher volumes of air passing through the crankcase system.
                                Jeff Redig - Sales/Tuning Rep, Midwest, USA

Feel free to PM me if I can help with anything 034 related.

Comment

Working...
                                X