No announcement yet.

Catch tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You'd more than likely run into problems with a vent and inlet pipe setup on a standard S2 though as they have a MAF and the vent would act as a leak after the MAF.
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_Casey View Post
      You'd more than likely run into problems with a vent and inlet pipe setup on a standard S2 though as they have a MAF and the vent would act as a leak after the MAF.
      That'd be just about any car with a draw through MAF setup.
      Jeff Redig - Sales/Tuning Rep, Midwest, USA

Feel free to PM me if I can help with anything 034 related.

Comment

Indeed but of course, if you run it pre MAF then the issue goes away... and get replaced by the fact that your MAF would get a nice coating of oily goo...
        Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Not if your catch can is doing it's job???
          Jeff Redig - Sales/Tuning Rep, Midwest, USA

Feel free to PM me if I can help with anything 034 related.

Comment

A catch tank is never going to remove 100% of the oil vapours in the breather so it will happen.
            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Right, I've had the catch tank fitted for nearly a year now, unfortunately I have only done about 750 miles! It's not caught much with the outlet attached to the inlet pipe in the OE manner. I put this down to it all being sucked into the inlet so I've got a small filter and put that on so it's venting to atmosphere.

I got the car hot and then checked under the bonnet. The car was pushing out quite a lot of vapour through the filter, I thought I could smell it in the car and sure enough it's quite bad, a bit like taking the oil filler cap on when it's all toasty. Anyone else checked theirs when it's hot? I rrewmember others complaining about the smell and I can see what they mean! The filter was one of the red cotton ones, cheap off ebay, wish I'd spent the extra £10 on a better itm now with the metal gauze inside to cause the oil to condense / come out of suspension.

Will use the existing pipe work to run the filter further away from the inlet for the blower and see how I get on and if it catches much oil... all it seems to have done is catch water thus far . Without an XRay machine I don't know if it's baffled or not. I was told it was but have no way of knowing as the inlet and outlet are both 90deg bends to fit nicely.

Have to see how I get on...
              Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

i have bought the KN filter and fitted it way down at the bottom of the engine.It doesnt smell at all even when stationary.The problem is that i too get quite a few vapours but nothing collecting in the tank.My tank is not baffled,but has a tight mesh that supposedly drains the thicker oil and the fumes are left through the filter.However i dont know if it is because of the lower position of the filter and gravity,most oil residue is now forming on the bottom of the engine's cover going out the filter.

Im going to try tomorrow to reroute the whole thig back to the maf,and take the tank in a different position.

Comment

It could be that having the tank so close to the outlet isn't giving the vapours long enough to cool. There's nowhere else for mine to fit so I'll have to do like engineers have done for years and work around it
                  Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

can anyone tell me if this is the correct orientation of the PCV valve?wondering if this may be the problem of pressurising the camcover...

Comment

I think that's different to the one I removed but I'd have to check...
                      Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

and to answer my own question..... i guess not...

etka is showing it the other way around...

Comment

Blow through it, that'll tell you.
                          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

naahh that doesnt do anything makes it horny!

Comment

Originally posted by 4WheelDrifter View Post
                              James took some good pictures here. I did mine before the days of digital cameras, so I didn't get any.
                              BTW, you don't have to spend quite as much on hose as James did.
                              Do any of you with the breather plumbved to the outside get fumes on a hot day? Not ideal really...
                              Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

hi lads
                                So for the last few days i have been reading about PCV,catch cans,oil/air separators to the point im sick of it now and i'm still not sure what's the best way to do it
                                im going for hopefully 500BHP and i have been advised to do something with PCV system to handle it .At the moment car was at 370bhp and stock breathing system was doing its job .My intercooler,throttle body ,inlet manifold was bone dry so im almost thinking why would i modify something that is working ?will that extra 100-130 bhp make such a big difference ?im almost like Rusty- i would like to keep it stock,just make sure both valves are doing the job and just put catch tank inline . Confuse.com what to do with it ?
                                If i decide to go for oil/air separator or catch can - do i need to remove both valves ?(pressure control valve /bleeder valve )
                                If i do that then what about risk of pressurising the crank case under boost ?

Comment

Working...
                                X