New Exhaust - what should I look for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Exhaust - what should I look for?

I'm going to get a quote for a SS system for the old bus and was wondering what I should be looking for.

I'm on a homefry but don't plan on upgrading anyhting else soon so should I go for 3"? Also what size or number of cells sport CAT should I go for, will one CAT be enough for the emissions?

Should I ask them to make the downpipe as a seperate item? If its the same as the ABY Coupe then they will be able to supply them to others once they have done mine

At which point do the Coupe and Avant systems differ, after the CATS? Again if I can get them to make it split at this point than it should fit the Coupe too. The company keep patterns of all exhausts they ever make.

Keep both silencer boxes, go smaller or loose one all together? Don't want it to be too loud, I actually like the subtle noise the standard exhaust gives but could handle something a bit louder

Questions, questions.................

Cheers

Leigh
    Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Somebody must have something to say...............

Comment

if your not planning on having anything more done beyond the stock setup miltek is well worth a look. Also get a sports cat, not sure on the cell density marco will know im sure
      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

I'm afraid I can't offer much advice on what to go for, but I will be following your progress as I am looking for a full system (albeit without cats).

What I can say is, 3" should be fine. I have one of Marco's downpipes so will be going for 3" for the rest.

As for coupe/avant differences. The exhausts only share the same downpipe and cats. The Y-pipes, centre and rear boxes are different.

Not sure about the number of boxes. Jason (Lion garage) is adamant I only need a rear box and 3" pipe throughout. I'm still concerned about the noise level though.

Having said that Tom Hammonds had a four inch straight pipe from the turbo to a tiny rear box on his group B quattro hill climb car and IIRC that wasn't stupidly loud. Maybe a bit too much for day to day driving but not bad all the same. It did make an almighty bang when he side stepped the clutch though (sorry, drifted a bit of topic)

Ben
        the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
        1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

Leigh (sorry, Dr H... ) I wouldn't bother with the Milltek system. I'm sure you can rustle up something 'as good' or better for cheaper than what it cost me (£1600 all in, I think).

General consensus a little while ago was that splitting the exhaust into two pipes wasn't a great thing to do (the milltek splits into two after the single cat and back into one again - pointless) I'll take a photo of it when I'm under the car again tommorrow.

Oh yeah, took it to an exhaust place, and they said I needed a bigger flange on the cat back portion to stop the blowing. When I rung Milltek, they weren't really interested, and said to contact who sold me it. Can't say the prospect of speaking to a certain someone's mother again appeals very much, so I'll just take it somewhere and get the flange end cut off/another welded on I think. Not quite the results you expect for paying top dollar....

I'm off to the Donnie custom crap (oops sorry, car) show on sunday to see all the lax power specials with their burberry wearing drivers and fake tan girlfriends. I'll see if there's any leaflets from 'zorst manufacturers and let you know contact details. (Though I gather there's one in sheffield that's quite well known. Umm, but I forgot it's name :S)

You have any luck with that boost leak yet?

PJ
          'The Bacofoil Express'...

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Comment

Originally posted by APNess
            Can't say the prospect of speaking to a certain someone's mother again appeals very much,

PJ
            APNess, quality mate, quality

Comment

I'll just take it somewhere and get the flange end cut off/another welded on I think. Not quite the results you expect for paying top dollar....
              PJ
              PJ and Ben,

I've organised a trip round an well known and respected Stainless Exhaust manufacturer in Macclesfield on the 12th May see
              http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2612

You are welcome to attend, Leigh ( Doctor H) should be coming from Sheff.

I owe Ben Lots of beer and Leicester to Macc is an Interesting drive.

David

Comment

My Milltek 3" catback cost me 350 fitted..then again, my car was the development mule for the latest generation of the S2/RS2 Avant system....they re-engineered it over the previous incarnations when mine was done 2 years ago. I have no cats now but need to get some for the next MOT. I have priced up some high flow metallic 3" CATs from the states for a few hundred dollars for a pair. I will be removing the centre Milltek box too so will only have a single rear milltek box installed. Something special IS happening between the head and the CATs but its about 5 items down on the list at the moment. I've got about 45 weeks before my next MOT to get the exhaust sorted. 3 other jobs to finish first...IM castings, Braking system re-engineering, Further suspension alterations, ally flywheel and paddle clutch. It is going to be a busy and expensive year ahead.

My car pops flames out of the back sometimes now without the cats but I want it to be a lot louder and lairy...
                1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
                Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Im taking mine to a place in cannock called powerflow, not the old 'lax power' powerflow every saxo visited, but a proper custom manufactuer. Mine, for the system downpipe back, so no cats, is 500 notes...
                  Was a '93 3B, Dont ask now tho......

Comment

When I rung Milltek, they weren't really interested, and said to contact who sold me it. Can't say the prospect of speaking to a certain someone's mother again appeals very much, so I'll just take it somewhere and get the flange end cut off/another welded on I think. Not quite the results you expect for paying top dollar....
                    I've too found Milltek's customer support to be a bit lacking. I've tried to contact them via email in order to get some info and price quotes on their exhausts, but they refuse to reply. Well, if my money isn't good enough for them I'll carry it somewhere else.
                    Markus

'94 Kristallsilber-metallic S2 Avant.

Comment

Cheers Guys

I've spoken to JP Exhausts and they have given me a ballpark price for a 3" SS turbo back (inc downpipe) system with a sports cat that is soooo cheap I 'm not going to reveal it until I've seen them to get a proper quote

I'm thinking maybe a full 3" system might be a bit too much - maybe I;ll go for a 70mm one - lets wait and see.

Once I have had them look at the car and quote me I'll let you all know

Comment

Leigh - I'll be watching the thread with interest in case someone who ran the fuel tank completely dry also managed to knacker the new cat at the same time...

David - will PM you when I get confirmation of getting a workday off, but I'd like to take a look around the place you mention and (hopefullY) get my leak cured - I'd also be interested if the guys there can quote a single pipe from the cat back instead of the 1-2-1 crap that's on there right now.

Leigh - (again) will contact you at some point to drive over in convoy (seeing as I get lost at the end of my own street) ?

PJ

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Comment

Leigh,

Do JP keep plans for all their exhausts? If they can do a decent system for not too much money then I'll probably be heading there way.

Ben
                          the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
                          1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

Originally posted by s2avant
                            Leigh,

Do JP keep plans for all their exhausts? If they can do a decent system for not too much money then I'll probably be heading there way.

Ben
                            When I called a few months ago they had a sample jig and old exhaust for a coupe quattro 20V as samples. Which is my car. They have wicked cnc pipe bending machine which is amazing to watch. This can be programmed to churn out 3" downpipes with all the intricate bends etc in one seamless flawless tube. It was £15k for the machine, I want one! I don't know about the S2 but once they've done one they can do another.

Marcus, they ship internationally I think!

If anyone fancies coming down please feel free. Just PM me so that I know how many are coming. It'd e nice if we could have a quid to chip into a beer fund for the lads working late. ( you never fail to get invited back).

There will be a trip to a decent pub later!

David

Comment

If they so wish, they can have a look at the exhaust on my car, providing it goes back on without any leaks!

Just a thought...

PJ

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Comment

Working...
                              X