Great, now that I have the numbers, I can produce the following: -

EM flow rates.xls

Just need to add prices and we can see where the best bang/buck ratio is

Cheers n

Si
    95 ABY S2 Coupe - Ragusa Green
    Subtle mods here and there

2011 A5 3.0 TDi - Lava Grey
    With every option available (except a towball)

Comment

Nice work !
      Paul Nugent
      Webmaster http://S2central.net
      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by HPmuirt View Post
        Great, now that I have the numbers, I can produce the following: -Just need to add prices and we can see where the best bang/buck ratio is Cheers n Si
        While accumulating the data and doing the math is a good thing, it should be remembered that the testing was one runner at a time, without interferences from residual flow from the other runners. As a result, the results do not reflect real world absolutes. However, since the testing procedure is consistent, the relative differences are probably significant. What bothers me about the comparison is the fact that the RS2 EM shows relatively small improvements over the AAN (or ABY) EM, yet we know that the RS2 manifold flows much better and has higher HP capabilities thant the stock EM while at the same time helping to prevent issues with No. 1 and No. 5 exhaust valves that can show up on high HP loadings on a stock EM.

All that said, for my money, the Wagner RS2 Evo looks like the winner on a cost vs performance vs stock turbo location and down pipe basis.
        RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
        94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

To make this pictures thread more complete:
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by HPmuirt View Post
            Great, now that I have the numbers, I can produce the following: -

[ATTACH]18162[/ATTACH]

Just need to add prices and we can see where the best bang/buck ratio is

Cheers n

Si
            Great work! I am amazed that the flow number of that AAN is just a little lower then the OEM RS2 EM (144 cfm vs. 150 cfm), but the max HP difference is 320 vs 420 is quite big. But it's off course also depending on the design of the total runners entering into the turbo hotside, and not a single tube at a time.

So the flow of single runners is more depending on the runners diameter, while the max HP flow is more depending on the EM design (runner diameter + runner length + the EM output hotspot) itself.

Comment

Originally posted by bram View Post
              Great work! I am amazed that the flow number of that AAN is just a little lower then the OEM RS2 EM (144 cfm vs. 150 cfm), but the max HP difference is 320 vs 420 is quite big. But it's off course also depending on the design of the total runners entering into the turbo hotside, and not a single tube at a time.

So the flow of single runners is more depending on the runners diameter, while the max HP flow is more depending on the EM design (runner diameter + runner length + the EM output hotspot) itself.
              That AAN manifold results are skewered by the cylinder 3 flowing more than the RS2 at 178 but it's not the overall cfm.

The problem is the runner flow are not even and not within 1% of each other so basically some cylinders are running red hot and the others cooler.

If we get anymore results from other manifolds be interesting to see them posted here.
              Last edited by Jamo; 26 August 2008, 18:03.

Comment

wich problems will have the setup of stock exhaust manifold + RS2 turbo???

what´s wrong with the cilynder 1 and 5 with the exhaust valves??? , its a dangerous problem??? or its only "dangerous" if you go always hard with your car and the turbo???

maybe can be a "decent" set up if someone dont have the enough money for buy the fuel pump,injectors,fuel pressure regulator,rs2 turbo + rs2 exhaust manifold... and of course it will be a thing very temporary just to obtain the rest of money for buy the rs2 type EM.

maybe bosting at 1,7bar with thhis setup will be a temporary 335hp....

Tomas
                RED Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 16 of 250
                BLACK Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 189 of 250
                LWB Audi Sport Quattro project

Comment

You will burn some of the valves when they run hot

Comment

Originally posted by bram View Post
                    You will burn some of the valves when they run hot
                    ok thanks¡¡

RED Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 16 of 250
                    BLACK Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 189 of 250
                    LWB Audi Sport Quattro project

Comment

Is there a flow rate comparison for the STR manifold or any of the RS2 copies?
                      Cheers'en, AndyC
                      1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

In what unity is measured the flow? m/s? cc/s? CFM? inch/s?

Cheers

Comment

Should look alot like the str.

Last edited by da_trem; 26 August 2009, 17:48.
                          1996 Audi S6, VEMS, S362.

Comment

Originally posted by da_trem View Post
                            Should alot like the str.

The problem with that is the reading are false because each cylinder does not have an individual flow path to the collector so when in use there will be high back pressure and it will flow nowhere near that in reality.

Comment

I wonder how they calculated/measured these flows. What are the parameters they used for the flow on the exhaust ports (using stock IM, cams and head?) Or don't they use the parameters from these and just put in on a flow bench or something?
                              Last edited by Jeltuh; 21 June 2011, 21:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeltuh View Post
                                I wonder how they calculated/measured these flows. What are the parameters they used for the flow on the exhaust ports (using stock IM, cams and head?) Or don't they use the parameters from these and just put in on a flow bench or something?
                                I think these manifolds were tested on flow bench, one runner at a time. This does NOT represent reality but that is what they did. At least there is a comparison between the manifolds using the same test protocol.
                                RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                                94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Working...
                                X