Will I notice a difference with 2.75" exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Acidburn View Post
    depends how well its made as some have been that restrictive that it causes more harm than good (darrenm's exhaust springs to mind)
    This is very true, when i bought my S2 it had a Longlife 2.5 cat back system on it but it was well restictive and gave a nasty boom at a certain revs (not a deep drone from having a bigger system but a NASTY restrictive noise that could be causing more harm than good).

I took it to the nearest Longlife to me (although the system was fitted at a Longlife up north) and we discovered it was 2.5" and brought down to 2" over the rear axle. A really bad result anyway!!

Ended up scrapping the whole system and got 3" turbo back, single backbox/race cat from Corey (thats another story all together but we wont go there!)

LOUD as fooook for everyday use but no restriction and ideal for what I wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by europeanme View Post
      shall we have a show of hands then??...
      No prob, I'll go for a 3B 3" downpipe. Can ask Ian Birch at Pipewerx regards prices and how it drops with numbers made when I see him in a couple of weeks time (Only fitting the system for now until I know what I am doing with the engine spec next year). Isn't the ABY downpipe different, i.e goes to a Y section for the cats?!
      1986 Coupe q - 2281cc 3B, chargecooler, 2.75" exh & downpipe, ported head, water injection, CGR box, modified MD357 turbo, 440cc injectors, high power coil.
      2004 A4 2.5TDi convertible, re-mapped to 180bhp
      2011 A5 sportback 3TDi-Backbox delete, remap

Comment

All 3" downpipes should be single output the Y-Pipe is a restriction that should be removed

That way it's generic to 3B and ABY

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
          All 3" downpipes should be single output the Y-Pipe is a restriction that should be removed

That way it's generic to 3B and ABY
          good thinking!!...

Comment

Prospeed can make the 3" downpipe they made one for Rusty, be worth approaching them for a group buy if Rusty can confirm the downpipe is good.

I did request pics from him but think he's afraid of getting dirt in his finger nails since his appearance in the national press

Comment

My 3" downpipe was made by my local longlife, just a few miles out of gloucester. Their downpipe is pretty good - proved it to 430hp - cost £300 but could be worth asking them what they could do, say, a batch of 5 for.

Shame mine is now back on the car as it would have been ideal as a template. Only issue is it's designed for the Garrett hotside which is a few mm longer. Fits OK on my K24 now though...

Agree 100% on the crappy systems comments, the london Longlife had fitted a nasty backbox on my Avant's 3" system that sounded like a jet at full boost and started to melt the rear bumper! Replaced with a magnaflow backbox, quite alot louder but sounds damn good on full chat.
              AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Originally posted by 20Vcqdriver View Post
                No prob, I'll go for a 3B 3" downpipe. Can ask Ian Birch at Pipewerx regards prices and how it drops with numbers made when I see him in a couple of weeks time (Only fitting the system for now until I know what I am doing with the engine spec next year). Isn't the ABY downpipe different, i.e goes to a Y section for the cats?!
                sorry for reviving an old thread, but just wondering did you get your 2.75" exhaust in the end?

I know Custom auto craft do a 2.75" system. with mandrel bends, & if its anything like my CAC 2.5" system they sold me, its very lightweight compared to standard, so i at least know i saved some weight when it was fitted..
                C4 A6 AEL avant quattro: daily

TYPE-85 Coupe Quattro: clicky
                2.5L GTi engineering RE2500 190hp.180lb
                Schrick 272 cam
                C A C 2.5" T304 Exhaust
                ITG filter

Comment

Had a long chat with Ian Birch and the result was that if I am definately not aiming to exceed 360-380bhp, then the 2.5" freeflow system with a properly matched 3" downpipe would surfice and keep booming down to a minimum too. Once past this though and go straight to 3" throughout...
                  Made a massive difference to mine. Attached is the latest vid with car estimated to be around 290-300bhp.. Private road of course..
                  http://s718.photobucket.com/albums/w...Apr2010045.flv
                  1986 Coupe q - 2281cc 3B, chargecooler, 2.75" exh & downpipe, ported head, water injection, CGR box, modified MD357 turbo, 440cc injectors, high power coil.
                  2004 A4 2.5TDi convertible, re-mapped to 180bhp
                  2011 A5 sportback 3TDi-Backbox delete, remap

Comment

Originally posted by 20Vcqdriver View Post
                    Had a long chat with Ian Birch and the result was that if I am definately not aiming to exceed 360-380bhp, then the 2.5" freeflow system with a properly matched 3" downpipe would surfice and keep booming down to a minimum too. Once past this though and go straight to 3" throughout...
                    Made a massive difference to mine. Attached is the latest vid with car estimated to be around 290-300bhp.. Private road of course..
                    http://s718.photobucket.com/albums/w...Apr2010045.flv
                    so you're now running a 2.5"inch exhaust then.

good to know i wont need to replace my CAC 2.5 incher then! it cost me enough.
                    C4 A6 AEL avant quattro: daily

TYPE-85 Coupe Quattro: clicky
                    2.5L GTi engineering RE2500 190hp.180lb
                    Schrick 272 cam
                    C A C 2.5" T304 Exhaust
                    ITG filter

Comment

Here's a funny thing - I know of several S2/S4 machines happily blowing circa 420bhp on stock exhausts with just a bigger EM and 3" downpipe (bigger turbos too of course). I thought it was generally accepted that a 3" exhaust was only required for power levels significantly higher than that. My memory could be a bit fuzzy though.

We all get towards ~300bhp with factory 2.5" downpipe, CATs and system with a good ECU.

A chipped RS2 running 2.75" downpipe and better EM, still with CATs and otherwise same exhaust as S2 Avant blows towards ~400bhp so I think the exhaust builders will tend to lowball their estimates for obvious reasons.
                      Paul Nugent
                      Webmaster http://S2central.net
                      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Working...
                      X