I need more air...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need more air...

To get more power, I've decided in my wisdom (no laffing at the back there!)

To that end, where am I going to duct it from?

I read the Autospeed negative boost article - the standard 'sandwich' slot for air is crap, apparently. Do I have to take a pile of bits off near the headlight to get ducting in, or has someone successfully threaded it through the maze of pipes to the oil cooler slot, and how much messing about was it? I have a cone filter, but it's too big - need something shorter I think, but for now was just thinking of more air to the standard box... Then mess about later.

My time is limited this week - I can't rip too much of the car apart as I've got well, no time to put it back before having to go to work, so I thought I'd ask rather than tear the front end off.

With a crowbar.
    Attached Files
    'The Bacofoil Express'...

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

I have a cone filter on mine (huge) and to aid the intake of fresh cool air i routed up from the side of the oil cooler some aluminuim hose that you can get from Halfords etc for £5..... can't remember the diameter but its easy to feed down and just secure with a cable tie on the towing eye, thread through the gap between the bulkhead and the back og the lights etc and secure at the top with another cable tie taking care not o crumple the pipe up. You could also use a small air 'scoop' used in brake ducting/cooling to help get more airflow too.

HTH,

David
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Doug did a bit of ducting up from the oil cooler duct too, used a piece of waste pipe and some ally covered ducting pipe from merlin motorsport i think

Greg
      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Right. Looks like the front off and sort the back of the headlight out then, all that plastic stuff. I couldn't figure any other way to thread pipe through, but then I always look for the hard way to do things. Thought I'd check first.

Cheers for heads up guys

Nice picture of your baby too David - you'll be going through the 'sleep deprivation' phase I suspect. We haven't had ONE NIGHT in 10 months where the baby's slept through. Not. One. Ugh. Good luck m8 Hasn't affected me apart from the hallucinations... *blink!* Elephants in the sky... dribble...

Paul

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Comment

now before last night i would have agreed, we are averaging about 3-4 hours a night of VERY broken sleep but last night, he gave us the gift of 6 hours, not sure if i feel better or worse But yeah its the walking out of a room and back in without the thing you were going to get that does it for me......

David
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Bump!

APness, have you got nay pictures of this?

Cheers

Comment

Not got any photos right now (cleaning my Ap 6 pots up for going back on tommorrow) but will take some. Basically remove all the trim and crap from behind driver headlight, take your oil cooler vent off(1 bolts and a screw I think) , measure the hole against your pipe, and chop the plastic away to thread pipe through. Thread pipe from top through to bottom and uh, that's it. I have mine going straight into the airbox.

Also thinking about putting another on with a smaller pipe diameter from front of the car around grill level to a new drilled hole in the airbox. More air the better, right?

I was going to do all the cone filter shield thing but the filter I have (same as Toms) is too big to properly shield in my opinion (and Tom doesn't bother shielding his at all - his car runs on hot air.)

Basically it's the same route for the ducting as seen in that australian autospeed article by Julian Thingummywotsisname.

Easy to do, just take the bits off behind the headlight is longest job about 10 minutes. Actually I think Chris M did that bit whilst I was struggling under the car with something else (cheers Chris)

Paul

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Comment

I'll have to search the site for Autospeed, it's somehting i'm thinking of doing.

I've got a lot of things to do in the coming weekends, after that boost gauge is next.

Comment

would be worth seeing if the pressure from both areas is the same otherwise it could worse the effect.

Greg
                  Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

I put in a whopping big cone, and tore out all the 3B intake crud: retained the 3B heatshield and bought a length of Donkey **** from my local buidlers merchants - which cost about £2. Jammed the end of that hose in alongside the right headlight and the other end to the cone.
                    Ok it's probably not the most elaborate bit of engineering, and I'm ******ed if I can tell if it makes a difference, but it amuses me. I'll try and get a photo!
                    Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

you can o like my friend did hemoved the radiador 2"
                      ABT C5 Lord Of The Rings
                      2004 1/4 Mile ET 12.00 191Km/h @1,5Bar
                      2009 1/4 Mile ET 11.92 213Km/h @ 1,5Bar 437WHp
                      2010 1/4 Mile ET 11.45 110Km/h @ 1,5Bar 437Whp
                      kostic.nu

Comment

Working...
                      X