Advice wanted on EGT/AFR gauges.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice wanted on EGT/AFR gauges.

I'm going to want decent quality AFR, EGT and boost gauges for my 3B project, whatever I go for needs to be future proof as I have long term plans beyond my currant bast@rdised Nothelle/RS2 set-up and it goes without saying that the info displayed needs to be highly accurate. I'm thinking digital would be easiest to read, as well as being able to log peak values. I've seen a vems kit for about the £300 mark which looks pretty tasty and seems to get good press, however I was wondering if anyone has used the product I've linked too bellow. It's a little more costly than the vems product once you include the cost of the "optional" EGT probe, it does however come with a Bosch wideband lambda and everything else required to install it, it also has some impressive data logging features.

I'm planning on sticking with good old Motronic, at least for now though I'm keeping a watchful eye on vems progress and feel it may be the way to go in future once I've built my planned stocker engine though this will be at least a year or so, but I'm going start looking out for a Diesel block soon.

So opinions and advise please.

Oh and I've just won £500 in a poker tournament and feel like treating myself, I also have a very tasty 3" downpipe ready to mount the senders into.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Zeitronix-wide...item19b79ff7dc
    Last edited by K Simmonds; 9 November 2009, 00:06.
    1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

That's the kit MRC use say no more.

Comment

Sorry do sound dull but do you mean the VEM's kit or the one I linked too and if so do you think it's a fair price?

Comment

i recently bought an AFR unit from this place:

http://trigger-wheels.com/store/inde...FRSRZgodc3me3A

along with the small digital display. The wideband is very good and easy to use and the digital display easy to mount or hide somewhere.The small LCD has other numerous functions if you intent to connect it to but i only needed it for the lamda function.

i dont need it anymore as i have vems on operation now.

as you can see from the page i payed 137+80= 217GBP+shipping.

i can sell it to you for 190GBP+shipping. i only used it for a few sessions, and it is otherwise as good as new.let me know

vasilis

Comment

I would buy it direct from Zeitronix.com since it is cheaper then your ebay page.

http://www.zeitronix.com/order/order.htm
          1x Zt-2 + ZR-2 Red Digits Multi Gauge Combo - 399 US$
          1x Exhaust Gas Temperature Probe - 89 US$
          1x 1/8 NPT Bung Stainless Steel - 7 US$
          1x USB to Serial Adapter - 29 US$

Total: 542 US$

With this you can meassure RPM, AFR, Lambda, TPS, EGT and also perhaps MAF sensor if you wish. I have used the 0-5V input for a 10bar pressure sensor which is located in the fuel rail so I can meassure fuel pressure. I prefer the multi gauge instead of the LCD display since you can fit it in a the vents a bit easier.

Then you could also consider this:
          1x MAP, Boost Sensor, 50 PSI (3.5 Bar) absolute pressure - 119 US$
          1x ZAVT-1 - 79 US$

If you buy this as well then you could also log boost and the alarm system can be used to set up trigger things up in the gauge so the alarm will go off if the EGT exceeds 720 celcius etc.

Also Zeitronix have a free software that you can use with the gauge/LCD which I think is really good.
          http://www.zeitronix.com/zdl/
          Sleeper S2 Avant +450

A6 Avant 2.7t Stage 3

Audi S2 Coupe RS2'ed

Comment

For AFR: Innovate LC-1 or XD-16.
            Here is a link to a test of all the popular AFR meters:
            http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=224346

A standard small LED or LCD display can be used with the LC-1.
            1995 RS2 on Alcohol (6.8sec 100-200km/h)
            1994 80E Avant
            1986 2L Golf 2 on Alcohol

Comment

most do the same job. think of where you want to mount it and look at those. ive used lc, lm from innovate. were pretty ok.

i prefer the vems gauge i must say.

most use thge bosch sensor from the 1.8t so its easy to get hold of them.

Comment

I am using the VEMS gauge. Good value for money. The VEMS round costs 249 euro and included the WB lamda sensor. You will have to add 76 Euro for the EGT probe so that makes it in total 325 euro for the whole kit. You can also do logging with it on a PC if needed, use it to control boost, and much more.

The Zeitronix looks good too, although it's pricy ones all sensors are included if I calculate correctly. The stuff from trigger-wheels looks good too, I think Aron used it right?

Comment

Thanks for all the info people, I'm still torn between Zeitronix and VEMS, though I like the extra features on the Zeitronix set up. It would take me a bit of time to be able to take advantage of them all, but I have an analytical mind and it will do wonders for my understanding of tuning dynamics . I've contacted the eBay seller and he will move a bit price if I buy all the extras which I want anyway, it may still be cheaper to get it all from the states. Just going to have to play some more poker

Comment

I use the zeitronix unit .
                    It's Great as you can setup an alarm to warn you if your EGT temp is exceeded or AFR is too lean.
                    It has complex alarm settings like : IF RPM is > 4000rpm and Throttle is > 80% and AFR > 12 or EGT > 800 deg or boost > 1.9bar then sound the alarm.
                    You can also do logs and hookup your Airflow meter or your N75 to see whats going on.
                    The only thing its missing is a connection for a knock sensor which i would love to have.

The innovate products have more parameters, but the price is accordingly dear.

S2 Coupe fully built.
                    10.9 1/4mile 0-100 in 3.5secs
                    Precision 6262 turbo
                    The Green Monster

Comment

Also the alarm trigger system har the option to control a relay. My Zeitronix Alarm relay is wired to my eboost2, so when an alarm is trigger then the eboost2 will go into "limp moce" ie setting the max boost pressure to spring pressure. You could insert a relay on your N75 valve and connect it up so that when the zeitronix alarm relay is triggered it triggers the relay on your N75 and cuts power to it thereby forcing it to run on spring pressure. Should be fairly easy to wire up and could provide a extra safety feature.
                      Sleeper S2 Avant +450

A6 Avant 2.7t Stage 3

Audi S2 Coupe RS2'ed

Comment

Originally posted by Faheemo View Post
                        The only thing its missing is a connection for a knock sensor which i would love to have.
                        Turbo XS Knocklite will take care of that. Connects to knock sensor and gives a two stage knock warning. Also has built in shift light. Mine is hidden behind the left side center vent. Unit is out of sight, but I can see the flash.
                        1995 RS2 on Alcohol (6.8sec 100-200km/h)
                        1994 80E Avant
                        1986 2L Golf 2 on Alcohol

Comment

I am not sure if the VEMS round supports alarms. But that would be very nice indeed.

Comment

http://www.plxdevices.com/
                            Using their AFR in my CQ and has worked without a problem. Auto calibrating in compare to Innovate.

Comment

Anyone know whether this works ok with Audis?

http://www.plxkiwi.com/kiwiwifi/hardware.html

Looks cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPho6ubtcDA

Comment

Working...
                              X