beauty and the beast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beauty and the beast

here is my second attempt at welding my own 3" downpipe,the first was not pretty and gave alot of people alot of laugh.even though i was game for laugh,i was determine to get this right.i had few member's who encourage meto try again, so i wen't back to the drawing board.
    bought some 304 stainless steel electrodes for ARC welding.
    this was quite easier than TIg welding,even though TIg welding will look better to look at.i believe with ss electrode's probably stronger than Tig.i weld the inside of the tube first,then out.
    i used 2" pipe for the wastegate instead of 1.75".
    Attached Files
    Last edited by david; 9 February 2010, 23:42.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]/SIGPIC]92 3B pearl white=gone back home to Germany,probably in bits and pieces

RS2 VOLCANO BLACK] soon to be broken to bits

TIG will give you the strongest weld - no question.

Second attempt looks laods better but still very little penetration by the looks of it - keep it up mate
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

i can asure you that this is stronger than what you think.
      i tried to remove the wastegate with a hammer,i gave up after an hour
      [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]/SIGPIC]92 3B pearl white=gone back home to Germany,probably in bits and pieces

Comment

try hanging 30kg of it then heating it up to 900deg a few times

Porosity will be a major problem too unfortunatly -

you'll get there - practice pracitce practice!
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

might be ok, you need to be confident on how you welded it tho. With arc welding you are managing the slag (the black crust that forms on top, obviously not calling you a pimp ) and if you're not experienced at welding then chances are its inside the weld.

TIG or MIG is a much better process. As long as theres gas both sides of the weld and you hold the tip close you're ok to crack on.

not rubbishing what you've done though. It's not too bad to look at, can you trust it?
          Volcano ABY coupe

Ant

Comment

Originally posted by QuattroFever View Post
            might be ok, you need to be confident on how you welded it tho. With arc welding you are managing the slag (the black crust that forms on top, obviously not calling you a pimp ) and if you're not experienced at welding then chances are its inside the weld.

TIG or MIG is a much better process. As long as theres gas both sides of the weld and you hold the tip close you're ok to crack on.

not rubbishing what you've done though. It's not too bad to look at, can you trust it?
            i always clean the black crust that forms on top with a small hammer and wire brush,and then restart welding
            i used 304 ss electrode's,so trust it 100%
            trust me this weld is strong
            Last edited by david; 9 February 2010, 22:47.

Comment

Got to say thats cheered me up no end!
              Rob..
              94 RS2 Noggy,LHD,MTM map,18"cup 1s,245/35/18,Bilsteins,RS2 H&Rs,Cup splitter.
              87 UR 20v ABY
              97 S6 Avant
              96 A6 C4 2.5 TDI quattro avant,Ming,Wietec/eibach,chipped
              1967 Ford Mustang,Eleanor,460ci v8

Comment

Comment

Did you ever fit this?
                  sigpic
                  1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                  1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                  1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Originally posted by AndyP View Post
                    Did you ever fit this?
                    yep!:thumb been on my Rs2 for the past 3 month's and will be completing the rest of the 3" exhaust hopefully 2morrow

Comment

function over form good luck getting it finished
                      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
                        function over form good luck getting it finished
                        cheers mate i well be on hands helping the welder finish the job

Comment

props to the tryers.

better to have tried and failed than never tried at all. and you havn't failed.

brace it up well and i fee lthe welds will hold. ive seen worse hold up.

Comment

Getting better! still don't know if I'd trust it long term but hey only one way to find out if it's up too the job

Comment

welding is on the same list as golf for me - just one of those things I cannot turn my hand to - I just don't have the patience for it. Credit to anyone that can weld anything in my book !

My mate's dad from years ago was a master welder and I was mostly flummoxed by how easy he made it all look - even on complex pieces - then you try something basic and make a horlicks of it. Its a great skill to have but I think some genetic ability is required to make you pursue perfect results from it as I know a lot of hands-on practise is required with that skill to truly master it.
                              Paul Nugent
                              Webmaster http://S2central.net
                              Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                              2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                              2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Working...
                              X