Wagner Tuning Intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what needs modifying to fit the IM?
    I know the crossmember has to be modded etc??

Comment

Mihnea, this looks like it would require a reasonable amount of work to fit on my 3B?

What sort of gains could be had from this IM? Are we talking 5 bhp or 25 bhp??
      sigpic
      Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
      Audi UR Quattro
      Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
      Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
      Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Hi guys,

Well, loads of questions... the crossmember would have to be modified, I would make a totally new one that just holds the intercooler, nothing more nothing less (apart from also protecting from front impacts), thus a good piece of square steel tubing would work pretty much ok IMO and AFAIK MTM do the same thing. Then fit the IM and a pipe that goes directly from the IC outlet into the throttle body and that's about it. Gains compared to a 3B IM???? Ummm IMO (and if it fits over the dizzy, I'll have to check that on my head+dizzy tomorrow) it would be about 20 HP and especially a gain in lag reduction, since the intake tract gets shortened by about 1.60 meter with this IM.

Cheers all,

Mihnea
        Last edited by Mihnea; 28 September 2003, 18:17.
        '98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
        info@MRCTuning.com
        Workshop Directions

Comment

Sounds good, MIhnea let me know about fitment over dizzy please. If it does then i might just order one!!!
          sigpic
          Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
          Audi UR Quattro
          Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
          Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
          Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Okay m8, meanwhile I've just emailed Wagner about a group buy and asking for a price if we take 5 or 10 of them, I'll keep you guys posted as soon as I get some news from him!

'98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
            info@MRCTuning.com
            Workshop Directions

Comment

Hey, if you can get a good price out of that wagner maybe i`m also interested, if you can arrange a group buy.

Greetz Cees

Comment

Hi all guys.

had a few problems here from this morning 3:30 till this afternoon:
                total black-out all over Italy :eek2:

Got some trouble at work as well.

Anyway... about the Wagner IM I think real benefits are a cooler intake charge (thus more density which means more power), a probably more even distribution of flow among the runners (expecially in highly modded engines where flow and expecially boost jumped up significantly), and of course a better and quicker building up of boost with less turbo lag.
                I think real hp gain isn't really easy to tell, being exponentially higher for high output engines, with probably not so sensible gain in stock or lightly modded engines.

If price will drop significantly I may be interested in a group buy as well.

Marco

Comment

Originally posted by Pisobiker
                  If price will drop significantly I may be interested in a group buy as well.
                  Oh No...........what have i started now
                  S2 Avant......fully loaded :rock: :bow: Slipper Wagons Rule !!!!!

Comment

Yeah...

As I already wrote in another thread, Mark H. tuning virus is spreding. No chance to get out of this forum without being infected....

Marco

Comment

Picture it now,we all have a mega meet somewhere next year and we're all running beasts with 450+ BHP
                      S2 Avant......fully loaded :rock: :bow: Slipper Wagons Rule !!!!!

Comment

There's going to be an announcement on the Group buy forum soon for you guys, got some news already!

www.MRCTuning.com
                        info@MRCTuning.com
                        Workshop Directions

Comment

Great Mihnea ! just great hope to talk to you soon at msn

Comment

I can comment on this

To solve the crossmember issuses, you can use a 7a crossmember, and a custom intercooler? I know this intercooler is custom, But I know for a fact you could get the stock one to work with the 7a crossmember.

So far this is what I have seen online.
                            I chose not to choose life: I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who need reasons when you've got quattro?

Comment

I can't help wondering... What are the downsides to this type of IM? Why didn't Audi originally go for a install like this on the S2?

Many designs in the car industry today are a compromise between function and cost, but in this case cost can't be the issue, since the stock piping is much more complex and hence more expensive.

Sure, the throttle cable and some small hoses have to be a bit longer with a Wagner-style IM but those are cheap parts. Is it perhaps the blocking of airflow to the radiator that made Audi not to use this kind of solution on the S2?

If I remember correctly, the urS4 uses a design resembling the Wagner IM. So what made the engineers at Audi to put down all the effort and money to design a completely different and more complex solution for the S2?
                              Markus

'94 Kristallsilber-metallic S2 Avant.

Comment

You need to bear in mind the fact that the S2 was a replacement for the Ur quattro 20V, and as such, developing another manifold for the type 89 WOULD be more expensive. The AAN S4 used a modified manifold, but the front of the 100 / A6 was much longer, so the PAS pump was situated lower down on the block, allowing more room for the throttle body. The Original IM was used on early German (200q) / US (5000 q), but on RHD cars, the throttle body would be VERY close to the servo, a problem which was addressed by the 'new' IM when the AAN motor was fitted to the S4 / S6
                                Last edited by Vagsport; 31 October 2003, 14:22.

Comment

Working...
                                X