Clear All

• Odometer cog replacement

Done two of these in the last week, getting quite good at it now

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Have you done your clock yet? Mine is dead.
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

I think I had a clock go off on me a while back on one of the cars but it was just a matter of cleaning the connecting pins between the separate units in the cluster with DeOxit and it came back to life.

When you clean the board to board pins you can also add a little tension to the sockets by applying pressure with a tiny screwdriver to the spring contact.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Cheers. I will add that job to the list
        Nothelle S2 Avant
        Black Ur project
        Ocianic Ur project gone
        S2 Coupe project gone
        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
          Cheers. I will add that job to the list

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Is there a write up for replacing the odometer cog?
            They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by 90quattrocoupe View Post
              Is there a write up for replacing the odometer cog?
              There is an excellent PDF if you get the gear from Partworks de. Or you can pm me an email and I’ll forward it .

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post

There is an excellent PDF if you get the gear from Partworks de. Or you can pm me an email and I’ll forward it .
                Could you please forward it to me as well? Odometer stop working, so there will be a broken tooth I guess
                Audi Coupe Quattro 2.3 20V

Comment

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...pair-by-qcrazy

Comment

https://partworks.de/en-en-briefware...er-repair.html

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

I've just done the odometer cog and LCD clock on my 90 20v. Lovely to have working again.

Odometer guide as linked above is good, I used it recently. Worst part is removal of speedo and/or rev counter needle. I broke the plastic inserts on both but it's OK to superglue back in, allow to dry and press fit needles back on spindles. My spindles both survived a lot of pulling and twisting. They are surprisingly strong.

LCD clock is fiddly but pretty straightforward. I ordered the clock from partworks.de. I still have an issue with missing segments and partworks have been excellent with advice and service. They're sending me another one to try for free. Despite missing segments, the clock already looks better! I've tried cleaning up all contacts with IPA but still no joy.

Next job in the cluster is the voltage regulator. My coolant and fuel gauges work for a bit then go dead. I think the voltage regulator is overheating. It's a cheap fix.

I'd advise a nice clean bench / surface to work on with good light. Be gentle and patient. A good, lint free cloth and IPA can be used to clean up gauge faces, clear plastics, needle etc. Mine look great now, lovely design and quality from VDO. I've had a couple of compliments on the 'nice, big, simple, clear dials' from those that sit in the drivers seat. Don't use acetone, that's too strong. Ensure you set the needle(s) back to zero. They stop at min and max. Rotate and tweak the needle on the spindle against the stop. Adjust as needed.

Comment

Working...
                      X