Door card adesive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door card adesive

As per title, what is the best adhesive for the leather trim for repairing the door cards I’ve got some 3mm self adhesive neoprene As I thought it would be better than foam and easier to handle So need a good adhesive.

thanks in advance

What are you doing with the neoprene?

Proper upholstery materials can be purchased with a scrim foam backing as part of the fabric, how much easier can that be?! I wouldn't have thought neoprene would be able to conform to the contours of the door card, or be compressible enough to fit around the edges of the upholstered area where its pressed into the gap between the door handle...

Comment

Where would I get this scrim foam stuff ? I’m u sing the neoprene as the backing for the leather trim thinking it would be easier to manipulate.

Comment

Normal scrim foam is what you want, lots of places just a google away. 3mm thick is the norm.

Comment

This might help...

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...me-love/page10

Post 137 in particular.

They do a large range of materials.
          85 WR Urquattro, 85 20vT International liveried RallyRep
          93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

Thanks Ian, really good job you done there. Did you take off the cubby bins on the bottom of the front doors ?

Comment

Originally posted by bilko0795 View Post
              Thanks Ian, really good job you done there. Did you take off the cubby bins on the bottom of the front doors ?
              Yes, I did. Once you take off the sound insulation on the back there three screws and then press clips...

Item 36.

https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+80.../8/867-867000/

The sound insulation has to come off for the wood/carbon trim anyway.

I found an old thread on the forum for removing door cards, really useful as I’m more used to B2’s and there’s a couple of things I’d have got wrong without it.... (Like lifting the door card up to release the retaining clips rather than ‘popping’ the press clips on a B2).

ill see if I can find the thread.

This was the thread, it’s for the rears, but the principle is the same.

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...-have-i-missed
              Last edited by Ian Simmonds; 7 August 2020, 11:24.
              93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

Thanks I’ve already removed the cards a few times when fitting new rubbers but not the cubby tray it seems to be moulded in 8 places I bc will give it a go tomorrow

Comment

Just realised yours is a coupe so might be subtlety different.
                  93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

Best contact adhesive I have used, bar far, is called Smart Tack, comes in a yellow can, available at Toolstation.

Amazing stuff...
                    Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
                    S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
                    '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

An update to add that I have just completed this job on my drivers side door card, using the blue can of Martrim Contact adhesive from here:

https://www.martrim.co.uk/car-trimmi...-adhesives.php

It is really strong and easy to use, and can be removed from the vinyl / plastic door card surfaces if you overspray it.

I also used the 3mm scrim foam from Martrim as a backing:

https://www.martrim.co.uk/car-trimmi...scrim-foam.php

I will write up a simple how to at some point soon...
                      The Perfectionist
                      sigpic
                      Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Completed mine last Sunday looking good now no more brown bits every where just need to source a good door grab handle as the top of mine has come away from the top where the electric window switches fit

Comment

Originally posted by bilko0795 View Post
                          Completed mine last Sunday looking good now no more brown bits every where just need to source a good door grab handle as the top of mine has come away from the top where the electric window switches fit
                          How long did it take you to get all the old psa style adhesive off the door card including all the crevices?
                          The Perfectionist
                          sigpic
                          Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

About 20 mins

Comment

1 hour less than me then!
                              The Perfectionist
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X