Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS2 Aux Gauges (3x) in a 3B?

Hey

After having installed RS2 Recaro front seats in my 3b (thx to you guys, although the seat heating is still in progress.. bought a loom from a s2 thats gonna be converted to some kind of rally-car) and the RS2 speedo (300km/h!! ;>), I'm going for the RS2 Aux Gauges... of course it ain't a straight/bolt on kinda job... ! <;

Has anyone attempted this? the 3B (at least mine) has got a different set of connectors than the ABY/RS2... the RS2 has a white 6pin, male, connector soldered on a pcb while each of the 3B Aux Gauges has 2 connectors, one with 2pins for the gauge "function" and another one for the light bulb...

However... between the (3x) 3B Aux Gauges and the loom itself there is an intersection of one female 5pin connector/one male white 6pin connector where the female connector is a straight fit for the soldered on RS2 6pin connector (ie, there is a pin thats not connected through this intersection)... exept that this connector is on the (3x) 3B Aux Gauge side of the loom and not the "car's" side.. ie. i can't fit it into the RS2 Aux Gauge panel without switching it over... an attempt to illustrate:

And furthermore the 3B loom passes by a VDO relay thats "hidden" behind the ashtray inside the center console part of the dash, what does it do? is it needed in the conversion? on the relay it just says: VDO <partnumber>, 58B - 58b - 58.

Does one just make an adapter for the 3B 6pin loom-side connector -> RS2 Aux Gauge panel? or? Please guys, help!! <; before I go and fu*k it up <:.................

//Cheers Andreas

EDIT: DRAWN A NEW PICTURE AS THE FIRST ONE WAS FAULTY!
    Last edited by Andreas; 3 March 2007, 13:42.
    Andreas Lundstroem
    A4 STCC Avant -04
    Audi /S/2/ Sedan -94

prev.
    Audi /S/2/ Coupe -91

Sorry, can't help with the connections, although I do know that all UK 3B's, ABY's and RS2's never got the gauges in the configuration that europe got. As in, that all our gauges were always three seperate 52mm gauges, unlike the one unit with the 6pin plug on the back of the PCB.

The relay is also used on most Audi's with aux gauges (not just the S models). According to the FA (parts program) it is a "booster relay for dashboard lighting"

Sorry I couldn't help more.

Jas..
    2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
    2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
    1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

Thinking and reading your post further on this, you say your RS2 aux gauge unit has a male connector on it?
      The one I have in front of me (from a LHD RS2) has a 6 pin "female" plug soldered to the back of the PCB .

2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

Originally posted by Jas11n View Post
        Thinking and reading your post further on this, you say your RS2 aux gauge unit has a male connector on it?
        The one I have in front of me (from a LHD RS2) has a 6 pin "female" plug soldered to the back of the PCB .

Yes, jas11n, you are correct, i was extremely tired and got the text/picture/most of that backwards <: the pcb has the female plug, but the 3b-loom has both plugs at an intersection before reaching the3b aux gauges... and the plug that sits on the loom coming out from under the dash has a female plug.. so if i unhook the intersection and try to attach the 3b-loom from under the dash to the rs2-panel/pcb i can't as they both have female plugs!

futhermore, the male connector on the 3b-auxpanel side has only 5pins/5cables (but one unused "port") so i can't just switch them over to be able to connect it to the rs2-auxpanel/pcb without adding one more (hmm) "item-that-receives-the-pin-on-the-female-plug" to that plug.

but that can always be sorted in one way or another.. what i was looking for an answer on was whether it actually will WORK if i do switch the 3b-loom side female plug for a male one and connect it to the rs2-auxpanel/pcb, ie. will the gauges work?

just to clarify, ALL PLUGS ON MY "&%¤%&"¤%& PICTURE SHOULD BE IN THE REVERSE ORDER <: ( i'm a bit embarrased actually <; )

And thank you jas11n for helping me along!

//Cheers Andreas

EDIT: DRAWN A NEW PICTURE @ POST #1
        Last edited by Andreas; 3 March 2007, 13:41.
        Andreas Lundstroem
        A4 STCC Avant -04
        Audi /S/2/ Sedan -94

prev.
        Audi /S/2/ Coupe -91

Comment

Ah ha, you did have me a little confused there Andreas, I had to look at my set a good few times to see if I was hallucinating
          Sorry I couldn't be of any further help..
          It was 3/4 o'clock in the morning, and we do all get tired

Jas..
          2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

Hey again

Glad to see that we are on the same page again jas11n <;

Here's what all the fuss is about:

And the PCB:

If anyone has some experience with this.. don't hesitate to post! <;
            Andreas Lundstroem
            A4 STCC Avant -04
            Audi /S/2/ Sedan -94

prev.
            Audi /S/2/ Coupe -91

Comment

I don't know if it's any help but the pin outs listed on ElsaWin for the Audi 80 with these gauges are:

1 - Variable positive from brightness control for dash panel insert lighting to amplifier for additional instrument lighting
              2 - Negative from oil pressure gauge sensor
              3 - Negative for additional instrument lighting, oil temperature gauge and voltmeter
              4 - Positive for light switch to amplifier for additional instrument lighting
              5 - Negative from oil temperature gauge sensor
              6 - Positive (terminal 15)

This seems to suggest you still need the light booster so you would need to wire in a new 6 pin male connector after this and leave the current connector intact, all of the wires needed are in the existing loom so I can't see any reason why this wouldn't work. I think what you would need is the male plug (893 971 833) and 3 repair wires (000 979 133).

Matt
              92 Audi 80 Quattro => RS2 Saloon!
              98 TVR Cerbera 4.5
              63 Austin Mini Super Deluxe (turbocharged)
              69 Austin Mini Cooper
              71 MGB GT
              75 Daimler Vanden Plas 4.2L
              04 Kawasaki GPX250
              96 Subaru Legacy GT-B

Comment

Now why didn't I think of that
                Same info is also listed in Elsawin for the RS2 .

Excellent first post Matt Bloody good show
                2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

80quattro: dude, I love you <:

Have some things to do today, sadly.. but I'll get on this as soon as I can.. and post back! (hopefully without any fires or other troubles) <;
                  Andreas Lundstroem
                  A4 STCC Avant -04
                  Audi /S/2/ Sedan -94

prev.
                  Audi /S/2/ Coupe -91

Comment

Originally posted by 80Quattro View Post
                    I don't know if it's any help but the pin outs listed on ElsaWin for the Audi 80 with these gauges are:

1 - Variable positive from brightness control for dash panel insert lighting to amplifier for additional instrument lighting
                    2 - Negative from oil pressure gauge sensor
                    3 - Negative for additional instrument lighting, oil temperature gauge and voltmeter
                    4 - Positive for light switch to amplifier for additional instrument lighting
                    5 - Negative from oil temperature gauge sensor
                    6 - Positive (terminal 15)

This seems to suggest you still need the light booster so you would need to wire in a new 6 pin male connector after this and leave the current connector intact, all of the wires needed are in the existing loom so I can't see any reason why this wouldn't work. I think what you would need is the male plug (893 971 833) and 3 repair wires (000 979 133).

Matt

I just re-read your post matt, when you say "light booster" you mean the VDO-relay that sits on my current 3b-loom? how should i include that into the mix?

//Cheers Andreas
                    Andreas Lundstroem
                    A4 STCC Avant -04
                    Audi /S/2/ Sedan -94

prev.
                    Audi /S/2/ Coupe -91

Comment

The booster is the thing that is clipped onto the back of the centre console, part of the existing gauge loom as you said. It is the thing referred to as the amplifier in the pin outs from ElsaWin. I can't quite work out what pins 1 and 4 should be wired to. On the current loom there are 3 wires which go to the booster, a grey and brown wire which is the power for the booster, a grey and blue wire which is for variable dash lighting from the rheostat on the dash panel and a grey and red one which goes to the 3 bulbs for the gauges. My understanding of it is that you need to splice a wire to the grey and blue one in the existing loom and take this to pin 1 then run the grey and red wire from the booster to pin 4. Anyone with the current flow diagrams could give a more certain answer for this.

Matt
                      92 Audi 80 Quattro => RS2 Saloon!
                      98 TVR Cerbera 4.5
                      63 Austin Mini Super Deluxe (turbocharged)
                      69 Austin Mini Cooper
                      71 MGB GT
                      75 Daimler Vanden Plas 4.2L
                      04 Kawasaki GPX250
                      96 Subaru Legacy GT-B

Comment

Allrighty then, I'm on it.. looks like Wednesday is gonna be the day..

//Cheers Andreas
                        Andreas Lundstroem
                        A4 STCC Avant -04
                        Audi /S/2/ Sedan -94

prev.
                        Audi /S/2/ Coupe -91

Comment

One good tip in the future Andreas. BUY A GODDAMN RS2!!!!!!!!!!!

/ the garage buddy
                          2004 9-5 aero
                          2009 Subaru Legacy Diesel
                          1994 Toyota Supra Eurospec 6-spd LHD
                          3-4 Audis in parts

Comment

Originally posted by prosty View Post
                            One good tip in the future Andreas. BUY A GODDAMN RS2!!!!!!!!!!!

/ the garage buddy

Remind me.. what was it about stones and houses made of glass? anyone?

(don't pay me or prosty any mind, we are both off our meds ^^)
                            Andreas Lundstroem
                            A4 STCC Avant -04
                            Audi /S/2/ Sedan -94

prev.
                            Audi /S/2/ Coupe -91

Comment

An RS2 can't take my kind of punishment.
                              2004 9-5 aero
                              2009 Subaru Legacy Diesel
                              1994 Toyota Supra Eurospec 6-spd LHD
                              3-4 Audis in parts

Comment

Working...
                              X