Heater Matrix Removal With Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heater Matrix Removal With Pics

I thought to help a few people out who seem to end up doing this job I'd post up a how's to for the heater matrix removal, this was performed on a 20v but should be reasonably the same on the other models, not sure if paul feels this might be better on s2central.
    Sorry if the pictures are a bit big, feel free to reduce them.

First off remove the steering wheel, this one is the standard 4 spoke and not a 3 spoke like most s2's, non airbag as well, the bolt iirc is a 24mm and reasonably easy to undo.
    The steering shroud has two cross head screws that hold the top half one and one big clamp that holds the stalks and bottom half on which once the two plugs for the stalks are pulled off are quite easy to remove and just pull forward once the clamps undone. The dash clocks (speedo etc) has 2x screws in the middle that are easy to remove then the plugs that go on the back has tags that need pulling out so these will come out.

On the right hand side of the dash there is two big plugs on the side which pop out with a flat screwdriver to reveal two 8mm bolts that need removing.

Next underneath the steering wheel is the pocket which is held in with 3x 8mm bolts at the top and sometimes 1x 8mm at the bottom once these are removed it will show 4x cross head screws which need removing.

Next the switches in the middle of the dash will come out with some gentle prying, best to remove any blanks you have in there first, the heater matrix below it switches pull off to reveal 2x cross head screws to remove the face plate and lets you undo the 4x cross head screws that hold the heater controls in. To remove the heater controls there is one electric plug that unclips and when you take the wires out there is tags you pull back to release the clips that secure the wires.Once these are out behind the vents at the top which pop out reveals 2x 8mm bolts that need undoing. There is also 2x 8mm silver head bolts that hold the heater vents ducting that need removing.

Now onto the other side, the glovebox has 4x 8mm bolts holding it in, two on each side and there is 2x 8mm that holds the tray underneath this and then it just pulls out.

Now there are two more plugs on the passengers side that hide the 2x 8mm bolts, this picture shows what the covers look like they just pop off to reveal the bolts.

The dash should just pull out now, might take a bit of force but providing you've got everything undone then it should be ok. Now onto the heater removal. You now need to go under the bonnet, on the right hand side there is a vent that just unclips to show this duct underneath, there is 2x 10mm bolts that need undoing and a metal clip at the back which has a hole in, put a small screwdriver in it and lever it forward to release.

This picture shows the holes that the heater connections come thru, there are two pipes that go on here which are shown just above the fuel pipes there, basically two pipes and two jubilee clips that need removing. To the left of this is 2x 10mm bolts one is shown there but the other one is directly below this.

The following picture shows it easier now its removed.

Its not too bad to do, the dash removal is probably the hard part if that you don't know where the bolts are to undo, I hope that this helps anyone that needs to do it.
    Last edited by Acidburn; 20 October 2007, 19:05.

For some reason the pictures are not coming up, first time i've tried the gallery option if someone could tell me what i'm doing wrong then it would be good, cheers.

Comment

You must use the line in the [img] tags for pictures

for example http://www.s2forum.com/photoplog/index.php?n=1398 is

[I M G]http://www.s2forum.com/photoplog/images/5231/medium/1_000_0179.jpg[/I M G] inside the link

I spaced on the IMG to I M G to stop it showing as pic for the example

Comment

Cheers jamo for that, sorted them out so they show up, hopefully it helps someone out if they ever need to do it themselves.

Comment

Nice work Acidburn Any chance you can a snap a few pics on how the engine wiring loom is routed under the dash and where it connects?

Cheers, Mark.
          91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
          93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
          94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

I'll have a go in the morning as still removing bits from the car but should be able to.

Comment

Thanks, I'm looking at it from an engine transplant point of view, the two unknowns for me were removing the dash and changing the loom
              91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
              93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
              94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Nicely done, this is a brilliant guide i have copied to word and printed for my ever accumulating manual for these cars. Thanks
                Graham
                Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

Great how to peter, thanks for that!
                  sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Superb write up and great pic detail

Cheers
                    93 S2 Avant Parting
                    91 URQ RR
                    02 A4 tdi Avant

Comment

Cheers for that, glad its helping some people out, was thinking of doing something like this when I do jobs on the car so that newbie's etc or just people who want to check what to do can have a look.

Also another little tip for people if you want to take it out in two parts you can do, there is 6x clips that hold the two parts of the heater matrix together, if you remove these then it comes out in two and is easy to fit back together.

Comment

Originally posted by mcandmar View Post
                        Nice work Acidburn Any chance you can a snap a few pics on how the engine wiring loom is routed under the dash and where it connects?

Cheers, Mark.
                        Most of the wiring for the fusebox etc is on a metal bracket that sits behind the pocket under the steering column. The wiring for the ecu is shown coming thru in these photo's.

This one is just behind the passenger footwell carpet and the top wiring bundle is the wires for the ecu on the 20v.

This picture shows as best I could where its routed along the back of the engine bay and underneath the battery tray where it enters the bulkhead, sorry its the best I could get at present, I will try get some better one's as stuff's removed if you want anymore pictures and can say what you want i'll give it a go

If you look at the hole in the battery tray you can see the bundle of wires running under the tray it enters the bulkhead under the white plug behind where the battery sits.

Comment

Nice writeup.
                          Don't forget to have your AC system evacuated(assuming your car has AC) and to disconnect the lines that goto the heater box.
                          1990 Audi Coupe - 7A for now

Comment

Yeah I forgot to add anything about that as i don't have that on any of my cars, where the pipes go thru for the heater box iirc there are some larger connections with something like 17mm screws on there, I will try find a picture that was posted up recently showing this.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowofBob View Post
                              Nice writeup.
                              Don't forget to have your AC system evacuated(assuming your car has AC) and to disconnect the lines that goto the heater box.
                              I was just going to ask about this

I have removed most of my AC system inc rad, pump and some wiring/hoses now to totally remove it i take it from your post that there are some connectors that go into the heater matrix ??

If so is it simply a case of unbolting them and plugging up the holes they left ?

Cheers in advance
                              '95 ABY Avant - Sold
                              '98 B5 S4 -MRC400+ = 464ps 741nm

Comment

Working...
                              X