broken seat mechanism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broken seat mechanism

My driver's seat in the coupe won't tilt forward anymore, I've often got a huge flightcase jammed behind it which has obviously damaged the mechanism somehow during braking. Any ideas for repair or am I looking at a new seat? That pair on ebay look ok if they'll fit..
    Irvin

'08-'0?:
    '97 Coupe, Kingfisher Blue
    '01-'08:
    '93 ABY Coupe, Milltek cat-back, Alpine dvd Sat-Nav/Changer

www.irvinduguid.com

Could just be the cable that goes from the handle to one of the latches has snapped inside, have replaced loads of these in VAG cars in the past.

You can usually buy just the cable, its a dealer part

Then all you need to do is get into the seat back from the bottom and thread in the new one

Unless of course the flight case has fooked the seat totally then you have the perfect excuse to get some spanking new ones ( Better of course, there is no point putting the same thing in again, as the same thing will happen. Oops thought i was talking to the wife )
    Ragusa Coupe gone!
    sigpic
    VW T4 Multivan. TSW Holstens hiding in the garage for the winter.
    VW Mk1 Caddy pickup, modded or "ruined"
    vw T5 Kombi. In the process of being "ruined"

Comment

Originally posted by groofosp
      Oops thought i was talking to the wife )
      "how much was that RS2 Exhaust Manifold and turbo dear?"

"Oh I got it cheap, darling, the previous owner found out that it caused lag, it was cheaper than buying a new one and I was trying to save money..."
      (Smiling sweetly)

"your hair looks nice, have you done something different?"
      ( changing the conversation quickly)

Hmmm won't wash, You'll end up watching chick flicks for a month!

David

Comment

Meant to say, the cable suggestion sounds dead right.

David

Comment

Hey another contagious thread, my seat cable just snapped! :wacked:

This is spooky :eek2:
          *ZR* S2 R.I.P.
          Visit *ZR*'s Hideout!

Comment

Thanks all, will look into the contagious cable theory!
            Irvin

'08-'0?:
            '01-'08:

www.irvinduguid.com

Comment

I just tried to replace my seat cable, but without success, I don't get it, how the heck can I get in there, is there any how to on this?
              *ZR* S2 R.I.P.
              Visit *ZR*'s Hideout!

Comment

I haven't looked at mine yet, so I'm still none the wiser..

Anybody know where to start?
                Irvin

'08-'0?:
                '01-'08:

www.irvinduguid.com

Comment

Seat cable

Mine have both been replaced. I didn't do it myself. The cable was cheap but the labour was not. I get the feeling my driver's side will need doing again at some point too as it often sitcks on the first attempt at tilting. If anyone's BTDT and has an easy guide they want to share then I'm all ears.

Nigel M

ABY 1994 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by groofosp
                    all you need to do is get into the seat back from the bottom and thread in the new one
                    Can you thread it in with that metal crooked thing attached to the cable? :confused:
                    *ZR* S2 R.I.P.
                    Visit *ZR*'s Hideout!

Comment

Got to be honest and say haven't done an S2 but on the other Vag metal i have done the upper seat cover comes apart at the bottom where it meets the lower cushion. should be able to get in from there and feed it up. Just thought might have to take the hard bit on the seat back off, the bit with the map pocket on it
                      Ragusa Coupe gone!
                      sigpic

Comment

This might be too late or have been covered already but here we go:

Tilt the offending seat forward or maybe easier take the whole seat out.

at the back of the seat there is a hard plastic shell ( with the map pocket/ fishnet thingy) at the lowest part ther are 2 x crosshead screws, remove these. The seat trim is pushed into a channel round the edge of the shell. This is pulled out. be careful to retain the clips which hold the trim into place. This should then give you easy access to the cable.

I would suggest lubricating the mechanism to make it easier for future release.

Refit the rear shell and push the trim back into place using the original clips.
                        refit the screws.

HTH

David.

Comment

Thank god, someone got time to look at the seat. Have been meaning to ave a look and post but sick:wacked:

Cheers David for putting my mind at rest, thought id led people up the garden path. Not too late to claim the seat is "badly designed" and get the new improved electric recaros with your flexible friend
                          Ragusa Coupe gone!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Stick Insect
                            at the back of the seat there is a hard plastic shell ( with the map pocket/ fishnet thingy) at the lowest part ther are 2 x crosshead screws, remove these. The seat trim is pushed into a channel round the edge of the shell. This is pulled out. be careful to retain the clips which hold the trim into place.
                            hmm ok, I got as far as taking thoses screws out 2 days ago, but that cover would hardly barge, looked like it was sewn on to the rest or something but thats probably a visual fookup, I'll give that thing another try in the weekend, thx for the info guys
                            *ZR* S2 R.I.P.
                            Visit *ZR*'s Hideout!

Comment

I can assure you that the seat cover is well poked down the groove, it does come out I can assure you.

Have fun.

David

Comment

Working...
                              X