Dash board modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dash board modification

Well, i need to put the dash back into the S2 as i can not enter some events with out a dash.

Now i have many problems, i thought i would put this to the forum as i am 100% this will effect a few others now of in the future.

I have 3 dashes here to play with thanks to Acidburn.

The electric steering rack runs straight through where the OEM dash used to go so i need to make the sun shield higher and maybe alittle further forward so i can see it and change functions.

Also to get it to fit i have had to take around 50mm off each side so now i need new mounting points.

So in short has any one found a good workable substance that will stick to the dash that i can mould into my own shape?

Cheers James
    Chef

play doh

happy new year btw
    1. SHORT SHIFT KIT
    2. PORSCHE CAYENNE CALIPERS
    3. H & R SPRINGS
    4. BILSTEIN SHOXS
    5. NEW BUSHES AND HP2 STRUTS
    6. UPRATED HIGH OUTPUT COIL PACK
    7. ,3" turbo back s/s/ exhaust
    8. fmic fitted

Comment

Glad to help out with the dash's i've got another if you want it (maybe 2)

be interested to hear what you find to mould it as unfortunately anything major will add weight. There is some fibreglass sheeting stuff which is good, you basically make a template out of wood whatever you want then lay this stuff over the top and it moulds over it, then you just spray/finish it how-ever you want. I've seen it done for speaker housing before no problem.

Comment

http://www.devcon.com/products/produ...elder%E2%84%A2

Any help?
        Shane

Comment

Would it not be easier to fabricate one from GRP then flock it? Or would the rules not allow that?
          Would be easy enough to make a mould by cobbling together a couple of your dashes....
          Chris
          Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
          S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
          '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

Just use high density foam and contact glue, you can also so fill holes / voids with exspanding foam and then fair to shape, cover in polester cloth and resin to get desired form

You then can use solvent to remove foam if Necessary
            RS 2 580HP

Comment

Originally posted by topsparky View Post
              play doh

happy new year btw
              Thanks Deano

Originally posted by Acidburn View Post
              Glad to help out with the dash's i've got another if you want it (maybe 2)

be interested to hear what you find to mould it as unfortunately anything major will add weight. There is some fibreglass sheeting stuff which is good, you basically make a template out of wood whatever you want then lay this stuff over the top and it moulds over it, then you just spray/finish it how-ever you want. I've seen it done for speaker housing before no problem.
              Yeah i could do the same with ABS plastic to but i dont think i want something so ridgid. I have to dispose of whats left of what i have here first !

The weight of the bare dash with all the crap cut out is like only 4kg max so in the grand schemes its pretty much okay.

You think that would stick Shane?

Originally posted by LHD_Kid View Post
              Would it not be easier to fabricate one from GRP then flock it? Or would the rules not allow that?
              Would be easy enough to make a mould by cobbling together a couple of your dashes....
              Chris
              I cant say i have really worked with it
              Chef

Comment

Is it supposed to look OEM?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
                  Is it supposed to look OEM?
                  Not really to fussed John, but i do quite like the coupe style dash theres not alot wrong with it really.

Excuse the really crappy Iphone pictures but you can see the issues i hope

Chef

Comment

Originally posted by terrybullwon View Post
                    You think that would stick Shane?
                    It will stick for sure, will it or the dash be elastic enough to deal with the stress I don't know. Some of those resin materials bond very rigidly and allow for almost no movement until one day they crack. Others then are designed to hold and for the bonded components to be allowed to flex.

I'd like to see what it is you want to stick together & I'll go through some reference info I have here from a few years back. I'll go take a look through your build thread again. (any excuse )
                    Shane

Comment

So is the white tube the support for the column? Could you move it underneath?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                      sigpic

Comment

@Shane

I checked a flocking site, they use fiber filler to rebond there dashes if they make modifications. But i think maybe some plastic welding product then the fiber filler would work great.

Originally posted by newsh View Post
                        So is the white tube the support for the column? Could you move it underneath?
                        Yeah the tube supports the column, the motor then sits right where the key used to go so i had to cut that out to
                        Chef

Comment

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.... WTF is that spear shaped piece of tube sticking out of the dash area for dude?!
                          I'd just mod the stock dash, hard to say without seeing the rules regarding it, no point trying to fab something as you've said stock one is light, only high density foam so easy to cut etc, and then add some carbon / ally / FRP sheeting to mount your digi dash and switches, guages etc to - done

EDIT: ok its not a chest spear then - phew!
                          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                          Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by terrybullwon View Post
                            I checked a flocking site, they use fiber filler to rebond there dashes if they make modifications. But i think maybe some plastic welding product then the fiber filler would work great.
                            Isn't there a forum member based in the UK that does flocking?

EDIT: this guy http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...=dash+flocking
                            Shane

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                              I've said it before, and I'll say it again.... WTF is that spear shaped piece of tube sticking out of the dash area for dude?!
                              I'd just mod the stock dash
                              You and my bloody steering column mount

Yeah i really want to just mod this one but how do make the cowl bigger so i can gaurd it from sun glare?

I have seen some on ebay i could just sick on and then blend in

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-CORSA...6#ht_500wt_922
                              Chef

Comment

Working...
                              X