Steel sunroof panel HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel sunroof panel HELP

I need help. I recovered my roof lining and sunroof panel. Since then when I tilt the sunroof it doesn't lift on drivers side. I found the plastic clip was bust so have ordered a new one. Anyway I noticed when I push it up it catches on rain tray at rear.
    Is there a way to adjust this?
    Also I noticed that the panel keeps going in between the groove in frame. Is it supposed to go between. I know the panel flexes but with it trapped in panel it must put rear clips under strain. Don't want to fit new clip and snap it. Cheers in advance

Did you take the motor off?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Comment

no mate. just slid panel out back. recovered and re fitted

Comment

Ok I see it's the liner panel which is not lifting up, thought you meant the actual metal roof panel.

So the liner panel is clipped at the front to the 2 square pegs. At the back it rides on 2 pins which stick out of the side of the lift mechanism, it's possible to fit the panel back and miss the pin on one side. The panel flexes very easily and with it held at the front it just slides a little on the pins as it raises.

The rain tray is held in position by 2 somewhat flexible arms with clips at the end, make sure these are present and correct.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Have you got the Part numbers for the plastic clips too?
          Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Yes i have the part numbers from etka. Why, did you need the numbers cos I can get them for you. I think that I have dmaged the drivers side rear one and when it tilts it pops off.
            The panel seems to go into a channel in the main frame but i'm unsure wether it is meant to.
            Every part of the sunroof works but the fabris trim bit that clips in keeps catching at the back when it tilts.

Comment

Have you pushed it all the way forward till it clicks both sides? I think it is supposed to go into the side channel, mine is out at the moment and I've just repaired the peg so need to get it back in and can't remember how

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Ok, I've just put mine back in and at first had the exact same scenario as you. It worked but when tilting the passenger side went up but driver's side didn't. Because the rain tray gets pulled forwards when the roof is tilted then it catches if you try and push it up.

Here's what I did. Open the sunroof a couple of inches. Release the clips at the front and then slide the liner back into the roof untill it goes loose. Have a look at the side bars, there are two pins which stick out towards the middle of the car, the back of the liner hangs on these. Bring it forward again but holding it up against the metal panel keeping it in the middle. Engage it in the two channels at the sides, keep pushing up at the back, the little guides on the top of the panel need to hook onto the two pins which stick out of the mechanism. Come forward with it until it engages with the clips. close the roof then try the tilt again. It took me a couple of attempts but it works now.
                Last edited by newsh; 12 August 2012, 22:50.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

I've become a dab hand at getting panel in and out now. what happens with mine is it tilts and the fabric panel lifts with roof however it catches on the plastic rain tray and pulls rear right clip off horizontal pin. i have found the plastic clip on right has a clip missing meaning it isn't held into panel that tight. but also catching on rain tray isn't helping. i think it could be the roof fabric i used is thicker. ill wait til i have the new clip and see what happens. fingers crossed.

Comment

It appears the rear clips are now obselete. Audi say one thing however a mate who works for VW says there are none avaliable. Anyone know of a supplier

Comment

Working...
                    X