This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refurbing Headilining - roof lining problems

Has anyone ever replaced there material on there roof lining without taking the lining out , or does the roof lining need to come off if so what is the best what to remove rhe lining without marking the roof skin...

Moved to the right section...

You need to remove the panel, it's not too difficult unless you have a sunroof.
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Whats best way to do it bit bothered abour denting the roof. .

Comment

Ps no sunroof..

Comment

There is a guide google it mate. pretty straight forward when you have all trim out to replace it.Top tip though only use 3m spray glue the others don't last. I know.!

Comment

Cheers monkey I have some lovely trims!! Had a look on google carnt find out how to separate sticky pads from the roof..

Comment

Just like a bad tooth - it's coming out...there is no other option.

Comment

Just gently and evenly pry it off the roof, might help to have someone support one end while you do it. A wide scraper with a long handle would help cut into the adhesive, preferably a plastic type to avoid any damage.
                ABY S2 stroker (work in progress)

B5 1.8T quattro

B4 2.3 (decommissioned)

Comment

Working all day today so will give it another go tonight wish me luck..

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                    Moved to the right section...

You need to remove the panel, it's not too difficult unless you have a sunroof.
                    What make it more difficult with a sunroof?
                    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

The web page with the excellent step by step guide has expired!

http://tvr-cerbera.net/?hg=0&nr=0

I know we should have got this moved onto the forum server
                      sigpic
                      1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                      1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                      1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Yeh I agree I looked for it but it had expired just my luck never got time tonight to remove lining never got finnished work till late , working tomorrow and then on my things to do list...

Comment

Originally posted by AndyP View Post
                          The web page with the excellent step by step guide has expired!

http://tvr-cerbera.net/?hg=0&nr=0

I know we should have got this moved onto the forum server
                          Bought back from the brink with some google foo

How to replace the headlining on an Audi Coupe (B3)

This is/was my 1st attempt at a headlining re-trim, so could have been a complete disaster, but hasn't turned out too bad.

I found a few posts where people had posted part "how to" guides, and various hints, but no out & out guide, so here goes !

I decided that the time had come to replace my headlining as it was sagging in places, had completely detached from the drivers side rear corner (& a previous attempt at re-sticking had failed), and more importantly, the car had stood outside for over a year (before I bought it) with a missing window, so the headlining was also mouldy !

Step 1 : Remove rear trim (held in place with 4 screws)

Step 2 : Use a flat bladed screw driver to prise the sun visor clip off (carefully, this plastic is now the best part of 20 years old).

Step 3 : Unscrew screws & remove clip (note on the passenger side, you need to unclip the wires for the mirror lights - on my car, it was easier to do this from the sunroof opening - please see Step 6)

Step 4 : Use a flat bladed screw driver to prise the sun visor hinge clip off (carefully, this plastic is now the best part of 20 years old).

Step 5 : Unscrew screws & remove visor

Step 6 : Remove Sunroof switch panel & unplug wire connector blocks. On my car, both brackets were broken, but there is a metal spring clip on each side of the front edge of the panel - just gently pull the front down, and it should release.

Step 7 : The grab handels are all remove with the same procedure. Use a small screw driver or similar (I found my corkscrew on my pen knife very effective) to remove the 2 covers from each handle.

Step 8 : Remove screws & remove handle (remembering to unclip the courtesy light connector on the front handles)

Step 9 : Remove rear light by pulling down on the switch side of the lamp

Step 10 : Using a 17mm swan neck spanner, remove the rear seat catches

Step 11 : Once the bolt is removed, move the bolster forward & remove the 2 screw circled

Step 12 : Remove the screw that is under the seat belt with a small stubby cross head screwdriver (I found a cross head on a ratchet is shorter & worked better)

Step 13 : Once the screw is removed, lift slightly to clear the parcel shelf support, and then pull out in an ark shape (there are plastic clips going under the C-Pillar trim)

Step 14 : Don't pull too far without removing the speaker wires !

Step 15 : Remove the screw cover at the bottom of the B-pillar next to the lower seat belt mount

Step 16 : Remove the stainless screw on the B-pillar where the rear door card meets the B-pillar plastic trim

Step 17 : Lift the rear door car up & then out (do not pull it straight off, or you will break the plastic lugs)

Step 18 : Now remove the 2 cross head screws that are holding the B-pillar plastic trim on

Step 19 : Give the trim panel a gentle pull out away from the door seal, and then slide down the pillar (there are plastic clips at the top which slide into another bracket)

Step 20 : Once clear of the B-pillar, just lower so it is out of the way

Step 21 : At the top of the B-pillar, remove the screw & black plastic retaining clip

Step 22 : You can now gently pull the A-pillar & C-pillar plastic trims away

The back of your car will now look like a bomb has gone off , but we're nearly there !

Step 23 : Use a flat bladed screw driver to carefully go around the trim around the sun roof prising the roof away from the trim (there are 2 clips on each short side, and 4 clips on the long side). BE CAREFULL - once you have done about half of them, the roof lining will just drop ! (there is a large sticky pad between the sun roof & the back of the car which is supposed to stick the lining to the roof - on my car though, this was no longer sticky, so the lining just fell away - you might need to gently prise the lining off if your sticky pad is still sticky)

Step 24 : Remove roof lining from car

Step 25 - Sunroof trim removal ! : Slide the sun roof back so that you can just see the front edge. Now sit on the gear stick/hand brake looking backwards at the sun roof opening. There are 2 clips (one left, one right) that need to be held open with a flat bladed screwdriver while you push the trim panel back slightly.

Once both are free, push the trim panel just far back enough that the clips are free of the studs

Step 26 : Now close the sun roof & put into the tilt position. The trim panel should now just slide out of the sunroof (backwards), and your left with a very bare looking roof !

Step 27 : Turn the sun roof trim panel over & peel back edges

Step 28 : Pull the cloth off the sun roof

Step 29 : I then used a wire brush & then 120 grit sandpaper to remove the old foam

Step 30 : Glue & re-trim

Step 31 - Head lining retrim : Remove the metal clips from around the sun roof opening

Step 32 : Peel back cloth from sun roof opening

Step 33 : Remove cloth from roof panel

Step 34 : User a wire brush to remove the old foam

Step 35 : I then used petrol on an old rag to remove any sticky residue left from the foam/old glue

Step 36 : Re-trim roof panel

Step 37 : And finally, re-fit sun roof trim & roof lining "as reverse of removal"

I didn't have time to get all the last bits of trim done as I wanted to clean them before re-fitting - am now debating painting all my interior plastic to match the colour of the roof lining as it looks so much cleaner ! It's not 100% perfect (it was my first attempt at a headlining), but it's a vast improvement over the old saggy mouldy lining......
                          Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

I've PM'd the guy who did the guide to see if he can send us the pics.
                            sigpic
                            1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                            1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                            1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Cheers greg your a star , my lining is well and truly stuck with the pads and its just the cloth thats let go is there an easy way to loosen it of the main roof wirhout damaging the roof..

Comment

Working...
                              X